give up that butter

Chapter 11

Janice was pushing her shopping cart down the snack aisle at the local C-Town supermarket. She was on a health kick but sometime she needed a little sweet snack in between. She was looking through all the array of cookies, cakes and pies assortment determining which one she was going to get.

Janice was so distracted by her choices of sugar assorted goods, she didn't notice the three ladies walking down the aisle towards her. The trio of ladies all were wearing black hoodies and grey sweatpants. One was wearing a head bandana tied around her head and braids and she looked rough and mean.

Janice still paid the trio no mind as she decided on the chocolate chip cookies as her snack of choice. She just threw the box in with her other items that was in the cart and proceeded to push the cart forward. The cart hit the pants leg of the girl with the head bandana and stopped. That's when Janice looked up and saw the trio.

"Excuse me," Janice said politely.

Head bandana just looked at Janice then the ladies she had with her and snickered but didn't move.

"I said excuse me," Janice repeated.

"Bitch, you ain't excused," was Head Bandana reply.

Janice looked stunned for a minute. She didn't even know this lady. She thought she may have seen her around a couple of times but not enough to place her face and definitely not long enough to engage in any conversation with the ruffian broad. She did however someone say her name once or twice. Loca. Lorena Loca.

"Can I help you?" Janice figured this must be about something since Loca just stepped in her way intentionally.

"Yeah, I hear you and that bitch you've been hanging with been asking about Butter," Loca informed.

"Well you heard wrong because I don't give a shit about no Butter," Janice replied. "But I'll be sure to relay the message to my friend and you can have a talk with her."

"No, bitch," Loca said moving closer. "I'm having it with you."

Janice was nervous but she couldn't show fear. Loca was a nutcase but even she wasn't stupid enough to try something really extreme in a public place. Janice took that assumption into consideration and didn't back down.

Loca inched closer and her girls surrounded Janice so Janice couldn't run away. Loca was so close now, her words sounded like whispers.

"Tell that bitch she and her little brother can stop looking for him," Loca informed. "Because when he's ready, he will come looking for them. We all know what went down at that apartment that night. Monster was a hated motherfucker that deserved to get shot. But I know you ain't the bitch that pulled the trigger. And while the block can all let go of Monster getting capped, Butter is another story."

"What the fuck that has to do with me?" Janice asked.

"You roll with the real bitch in this equation," Loca answered. "Now money is coming in slow on the word that your girlfriend and her brother making inquiries. Butter make a lot of money for the block. If he has to hide then niggas starve."

"I repeat what the fuck..."

"I hear you, chica. You think you're bad. But if that little bitch you was with wasn't there, you'll probably be singing a whole different tune. I know that puta got clout. So does her hermano but that don't mean shit when niggas start starving too much. Tell that broad to call off the dogs, let business get back to what it needs to be and they can handle that shit with dude later."

"I'm not a keeper," Janice said. "I can't tell her what to do."

"Chica, I'm coming at you on a heads up," Loca said and tried to smile. "You know how many bitches want to waste you right now? They think you're the cause of niggas not eating. Talk to your girlfriend, yo."

"Or else what?" Janice now understood what this was all about.

The block was scared of Chardae and especially Charles. The tight pinch Charles put on the connects must have really started hurting the local dealers. Most of the connects work through Charles and most money came through him so if he told them to stop fucking with dudes, they would listen. No one can get at the two siblings unless they wanted war. Janice was the next best option but they also knew she was protected by the same people. They couldn't touch Janice either. Janice took that assumption into consideration as well.

"Look, chica, you know the deal," Janice said. "Bring Butter to the front and things go back to normal. You don't, it doesn't. They don't need your block to make money but you need them to make money. So unless you telling me you know where that pussy ass bitch Butter is resting his head at, you ain't gonna have enough money to afford a head scarf to cover up those nappy braids. Niggas are starving then they need to give up that Butter. Or else this little conversation is null and void. And if you ever approach me again and it's not with news about the whereabouts of that faggot, you won't be needing to see my friend because I'm going to see you and she can have the leftovers and what's left goes to the starving niggas."

Loca looked at Janice real hard. Janice didn't flinch.

"Now you rally my message, chica," Janice said and started moving her cart. The other girl blocking her way moved and let Janice proceed down the aisle.

"What we going to do?" the girl that just moved said to Loca.

"I don't know," Loca said. "But they told me she was supposed to be a soft bitch. She's a bitch but she ain't soft. I saw her fingers inching for her clutch purse. We ain't got no choice. We have to give that little nigga up."

"But that's your baby father," the girl said.

"One of them," Loca corrected. "And shit, my other kids got to eat so that means their daddies got to get on the grind. So fuck Butter. Tell Sharice she got a day to get that nigga out her house or that's where they headed."

The girl nodded and walked away. Lorena Loca adjusted her head bandana.

"If they got enough clout to stop a whole block from eating, then maybe we need to link up with them," Loca said to the other female still standing with her.

"How?" the friend asked.

"By being that bitch's new best friend," Loca stated.