'Hobby horses and ghostly forces'

I looked out the window to see that darkness had fallen upon the forest and the snow was slowing, revealing the forest more clearly. There was definitely no sign of any disturbances outside but to my surprise, the figure was still there. However this time it seemed a lot clearer again. I could now make out it was no longer staring into the snow, it was looking at the door.

I shuffled towards the door and opened it slightly, even with the darkness I could still just about see that it was definitely looking at the door. It looked with a cold and dead looking stare that locked with my eyes, causing me great discomfort. I closed the door once more and sat down at the table. I ran a hand through my hair and stared at the ceiling. I couldn't help but wonder if this had a link to that...that 'encounter' all those years back when I was just a boy.

"Edwin! Could you come here please, I've got something for you dear!" 

"Coming mother!" 

I bounded down the stairs and galloped into the kitchen 

"Hello mother" 

"Good morning darling, look what your father and I purchased for you! Isn't it lovely?" 

I edged forward and my mouth dropped open in awe at the gift I had been presented with, it was a wooden Hobby Horse. I'd never seen anything like it, the craftsman ship was extraordinary compared to my other toys, it looked so smooth and well maintained with what could only be the finest wood available. 

"Gosh mother, it...it's magnificent, thank you kindest mother, give my regards to father when he comes in as I shall be out on this all day!" 

My mother smiled as I turned and rode out of the back door, with her words growing fainter as I rode my horse off into the houses grounds. 

"Be careful darling! Remember what your father said, don't go out of sight and certainly DO NOT go near the woods OR that cabin in them, you know what father did last time you went that far..." 

'I don't have to listen to her, I am Robin Hood and this was my Sherwood Forest!' I thought to myself as I rode down towards the wall where I would no longer be visible from the house, I peered back to check if mother was observing me from the house. I couldn't see her staring back so I quickly rushed round the corner and followed the wall until I reached the clearing before the forest, but to my surprise, I could see smoke arising from what I presumed was the cottage. I looked at the forest with a puzzled expression before heading off to investigate whatever was going on, 'Father told me no-one lived there?' I though to myself, confused that my parents had misinformed me about something so near to my own home. I decided to press on and continue the short walk up to the cabin.

The wind stopped as I reached the forest and every tiny little noise could be heard; every snapping of a twig from an animal, every bird call, every small noise seemed so harmless until I stepped within 10 metres of the cabin, I froze on the spot as silence fell but was promptly broken by a series of unsettling noises originating from within the cabin. It was almost as if the rest of the forest had died in that split second, leaving the cabin untouched. I feebly took a few steps forward but paused after a few steps as my heart was pounding and my mouth was dry, I put down my Hobby Horse and with a deep breath, I crept towards the door. I placed my hand onto the door, the wood was all scratched and splintering, the smell of rotten wood lingered in the air and my breathing became all shaky and stuttered and my whole body started to shake, I nudged the door open an inch, just to have a peek and...