'We..are...coming'

I checked the pocket watch again, '9:58, over 3 hours I've wasted over some silly little imagination, nothing happened Edwin you must have been dreaming or imagined it you fool. You are just a bit tired, that's all. Your family is relying on you to work through this, do it for them' the self motivation was surprisingly helpful in these bleak circumstances. Judging by my luck at that time, the coach, may not have even turned up the next day.

I would have had to walk back and that would have been most tasking for me, I'd never been any good at all thay trekking lark. Perhaps it was the way father never paid much attention to me? I never had the childhood other boys from my class had; I'd never hunted or anything remotely physical. I was always seen as weak and feminine by my father.

I decided music could be an appropriate way of calming my nerves, I started playing the Phonograph with a record I'd purchased back in London, but something wasn't right about the sound produced. The usual soothing tune seemed to have been distorted and it sounded like the grooves on the record had been broken or altered in my absence. It produced a far more disturbing sound.

The notes were all off key and the sound was horrendous, a high pitched wail filled the air accompanied by fast playing piano notes; that of which would be created by a small child bashing the keys in an attempt to copy it's father. As the wail started to fade off, a voice became apparent in the background of the track, barely noticeable over the piano being assaulted. After a few moments, the piano just cut to a halt and footsteps were heard. A croaky voice mumbled something before seemingly leaning in closer and saying very distinctly,

"We...are...coming" followed by a chuckle to itself and the record coming to a halt.

"Wh...ho's coming? Who is this? What do you want from me?" I asked, with a stutter, obviously I received no reply but the sound of my own voice brought comfort. It was familiar and reminded me of home and my family; and detracted my attention from the frighteningly alarming realization that I was definitely no longer there. All this had left me very unsettled and I felt that continuing work was no longer an option. There was something going on here, something strange and I didn't like it at all.