37 - Another Set Of Mysteries And The Plan

“I am sorry...” Zessica muttered softly, clutching the sheets of her wardroom bed closer to her small frail body as she avoided the brunette’s gaze. Arma felt his heart drop when she said it out so miserably. It was obvious that she was looking forward to go through the Final Trial but after what happened around sixteen hours ago, her zeal became crushed within the spam of seconds.

Getting to meet Zessica was difficult enough. When Arma and Stabs wanted to visit, Dr. Tear had suggested them to maybe give her some space to let the news sink in and let her have her bed rest. Fortunately for her, she had Alois as her roommate so she wouldn’t be too alone. However, the moment Arma was allowed to see her, he had to will himself to look cheerful.

Zessica looked impossibly smaller than before. Her complexion was worse than he had thought. She was so pale; Arma thought she didn’t have enough blood circulating around her body. There was an oxygen tube connected to her nose which was connected to an oxygen tank at the other end. She looked tired, extremely tired and unable to even lift her head from the pillow. There was some liquid medicine injected in her through another tube, dripping one drop at a time. Her ivory hair was in a mess, indicating whoever was looking after her was a lousy person. Alois was in a similar state but his complexion wasn’t too bad, though he was napping the day away.

“No it’s okay; none of us saw it coming.” Arma reassured the young girl, quickly taking a chair beside her before taking one of her small and cold hand into his large broad ones. He caressed his fingers gently over the smooth skin, wondering how her hands were this soft and cold.

“Still... this weak body of mine... it struck again and now I can’t stay by your side to fight... I can’t keep my promise to make you number one...” Zessica mumbled gloomily, allowing her right hand to envelope into the warm and comforting heat of Arma’s broad hands. For her, it was amazing that his rough ones could hold something with so much care as if he was careful to not break anything in his touch since he done it so many times in the past.

“That’s okay; I won’t take part in the Final Trial then. I mean we both are already the five representatives of Wind Crest. First place, Second place and Third place don’t matter to me. You promised me that you will make me number one in Blessed Combat, not in Wind Crest.” Zessica gave a small feeble smile before shaking her head weakly with effort.

“I know, but don’t give up on the Final Trial just because I am stuck here. You can do it without me, I am sure you will do fine. After a week or so, Tear said I will be able to play the real Blessed Combat games with the other regions of this world.”

To this, Arma pouted lightly, not liking the idea of going alone. Sure, he had been able to take down an opponent or two before he met Zessica but he wouldn’t have made it this far without her. For every blunder he commits, she was always there to fix it. Now he had no one to fix his mistakes and to face at least three players who are serious about the game. Euphino still had that stupid Declaration of War, meaning that if he lost to him he will instantly steal Zessica away. Then there is Sophie, with that creature Feyone within her command.

He knew Sophie was strong but he also knew Feyone was stronger. He thought he had a chance with Sophie but with that mystical creature? He didn’t have too much confidence in himself. Last but not least, there was Ophelia, the girl who let her voices to take control and go rampage, killing people’s dreams like as if they were dirt on her shoe, further making her resemble a lot like him when he couldn’t control his Major back in the past.