6 - Shock Treatment

Back in the stadium, safe from all the monsters that lurked through the seemingly deserted hallways; Zatch had been watching his idiotic best friend endure the horrors of the game with the girl who accompanied him. For now, the girl remained a mystery for she was no ordinary player, Phantom Dancer or not. There was something about her that stood out, something that’s not defined by strength or wisdom, something that’s not clear to even Zatch yet. It was concealed, just like her emotions, away from prying eyes such as himself.

She was, as he expected, not an extraordinary player in comparison with the rising star prodigy. In fact, her technique of diverting the monster’s attention and using it along with her lack of presence to her advantage was, almost to close at nothing. In actuality, anyone who has a keen mind such as Titania, could even do something like that, maybe... The technique she uses was something short of self defence.

Although when she used it with Arma, it did seem impressive. Though, it was clearly not enough to create massive destruction and great counterattacks. It was merely luck and several circus tricks that helped them on the way. On the contrary, she had made Arma look far better than he actually is. Even Arma, his best friend had some hidden talent inside of him. Zatch had known this ever since they were engulfed in the world of combat. However, with his reluctance to accept his powers and him being neglected by almost everyone, he hasn’t been able to nurture it within.  

Nonetheless, Zatch still had an unsettling feeling on his chest that wore him down. Though he had yet to know what it is and decipher it. All he knew was that the girl, Zessica wasn’t in the question alone, Arma was too. What more can Arma do with those powers in his hands when it reaches to full throttle? What was it that always made him stand out more than he is pleased with? Was it the talent that was concealed inside of him? How did he become like that in the first place and why?

Who...exactly is Armageddon now?

Back at the present, for both of Arma and Zessica to be trapped at that point with the dead lady underground, it was as if Arma’s well known misfortune had been rubbed off on the girl. Or was it the other way around considering that she is, a Child of Misfortune?

“....... Zatch? Earth to Zatch? Hello? Anybody in there?” Zatch blinked against the source that interrupted his chain of thoughts, Stabs. The teenage guy was by then waving his hand over Zatch’s face, trying to get his attention back to whatever he was thinking. When Zatch finally came to, he gave Stabs his signature sinister smile with a light sneer.

“Hmm? Yes?” Zatch immediately asked.

“Do you think Arma can handle this? I mean... he won’t stop coming to the games after this will he?” Stabs asked back, his face full of worry. There were concern in his navy blue eyes and lines were drawn along his forehead from uneasiness. Zatch could only stare at him with a rather amused and puzzled face.

“Now what made you say that?”

“Umm...Zatch...he might be right about that...” Phoenix added, nodding her head towards one part of the force field to which revealed the struggles of Arma and Zessica together. Zatch reeled his attention from his two comrades towards the force field as well. At first he didn’t know what the big deal was till he caught on something that made the hair at the back of his neck to rise.

“Oh... shoot...”

***

Back in the game, some moment earlier, Arma was paralysed to the core once more. His body felt groggy and the left side of his head throbbed strongly in pain. He sat there with his elbows propped, staring back at the empty eye sockets of the dead skeleton lady in front of him. It stared back, cocking its head in curiosity.