Chapter 28: Brightside

"Well, Quinn," Dr. Rivers said looking down at her notepad, "You have made steady progress. I will sign your release papers if you tell me one thing."

"Ok." I said nodding my head.

"Are you ready to go through this on your own?" She replied. It wasn't the question I was expecting. I was expecting a 'Will you tell me the story of how you got pregnant?' or a 'Are you prepared to go back to school?' I wasn't mentally prepared to answer the question. I had no answer. I decided to take some time and think.

Honestly, I didn't feel ready. I was feeling antsy and anxious. I still had the hole from the accident. I was still on the fence about adoption, but on the other hand I knew I wasn't ready to be a parent.

I didn't want to think that I was going through this on my own, but that was reality. Reality sucks. Nobody was going to have pity on me. They didn't know my situation, and I wasn't willing to tell them. I was screwed.

I decided I was going to go nowhere with lying, so I told Dr. Rivers the truth. "I'm not ready. I don't feel ready. I don't want to go through this by myself. I don't want to be a teen mom. I don't want to go to the store and have people look down on me. I want to go back to my normal, happy life."

She smiled at me. "That, my dear, is exactly the answer I was looking for. Anything besides that, and I would have know you were lying. Lying would have gotten you another day or two here. I'm glad you chose the truth. Now, since you don't want to be a mom in teen years, I looked online and I found a few optimal couples looking for a baby. Adoption is a great option, Quinn. It's a very hard decision though." She paused for a moment. "Why don't we have another session next week, that way you'll have lots of time to think about it." She handed me a portfolio, and nodded her head.

"Alright." I replied as I took it in my hand. I was just happy to be able to go home.

* * * * * *

It was the weekend, so I had two days until I went back to school. The doctor said that I was not to do anything strenuous, and that if I get stressed out or over worked I was to rest. Both of my parents were out of the house doing whatever. They didn't want to spend time with me, I guess.

I sat on my bed bored out of my mind. I had already caught up on my homework. The portfolio that Dr. Rivers had given me was laying on my beside table. I hadn't opened it yet.

I put on a tshirt and shorts, and headed downstairs. My stomach rumbled, so I headed to the fridge. Upon opening it, I found it barren except for watermelon and cheese. I opened the freezer. It was a gold mine.

I popped some pizza rolls in the microwave while scooping a large bowl of chocolate ice cream. After scooping, I chopped up some watermelon. The timer dinged, and I grabbed the plate out of the microwave. I heard a creaking sound coming from the living room, and rustling of papers. Somebody was in my house. I grabbed a knife out of the drawer, and took my phone off the counter. I dialed the first number on my recently called list.

"Hey Quinn, what's up?" Christian said answering.

"Shh!! Keep your voice down." I whispered into the phone.

"What? What is it?" He replied.

"I heard a door creak, and I'm home alone."

"Do you want me to come over?"

"Yes please."

"Ok, I'm getting in my car. I'll be there in five."

The phone went silent, and I ended the call. I circled the kitchen, making sure nobody was there. I doubled back to my food, and started munching on a slice of watermelon. God dammit. This is not a time for eating! My stomach rumbled again, and I grabbed another slice.