Candle-Wishing

After turning the lights out, Sarah sat on the floor in the dark, alone.

She thought about all the wishes that she wanted to come true...there were so many.  It took her a while but in the end she chose one, and lit the little black candle in front of her.

A black candle because her heart had turned to darkness.

There were so many people she wanted to hurt.  There had been so many people who had wronged her.

Her parents for putting her into care...the staff at the care home for not protecting her from the bad kids...her boyfriend for cheating on her with her best friend...her best friend...

Sarah sat alone on the floor because she was alone.  She felt alone.  And the only way she knew how to fix it was with magic and candles and witchcraft.

She tried to light the black candle, thinking about the one wish she wanted to come true, but the candle wouldn't light.  She wasted half a box of matches, striking one after another trying to set flame to the wick, but it was no good.

She took the lighter out of her pocket, the one she had stolen from the girl who was supposed to be her best friend.  The girl who had been like a sister to her.  The girl who she had shared everything with, her hopes, her dreams, the things she had never told anyone else.  Sarah used it to try and light the candle again but to no avail.

Why wasn't it working?  In frustration she threw the lighter across the room, angry tears rolling down her cheeks.

A voice, soft and gentle, spoke from the darkness.  Sarah was unsure whether it was real or a figment of her imagination.

"You're not a bad person, Sarah.  You are only surrounded by bad people.  You don't really want to do this."

Sarah covered her ears with her hands.  Yes, yes I do.  Don't tell me what I want.  I have had people telling me that for years, like they know or care what I want.

"Sarah, listen.  You're angry.  You're upset.  But things won't stay this way.  If you do this now you will regret it forever and you will be no better than everyone else.  That's why I can't let you do this.  That's why I won't."

The black candle vanished in a tiny puff of sparkly smoke, the only physical indication that what had just happened was real and not imagined.

I guess you don't always get what you wish for, Sarah mused staring into the darkness at the empty floor in front of her.

* * *

Story Notes: Inspired by the third in a month of weekly witchcraft-inspired writing prompts on my blog, the prompt being "spell".

* * *

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this piece of flash fiction. I hope you enjoyed it. If you did, please consider pressing that little magic star and voting for it. If you would like to see this story expanded or extended, let me know in the comments :-)

Have a great day!