Tarot Tales

Here are three very short tarot tales for your enjoyment...

* The Tarot Reader *

She shuffled the cards diligently, her mind focused, determined.

When she was ready, she placed the deck on the table.  Turning the top card over, she stared at it intently for what seemed like a lifetime.

"What are you searching for?" the man sitting opposite her asked.

"Destiny," she whispered.

* Tarot Blues *

The tarot reader looked at the cards facing her, aghast.

Doom.

Destruction.

Death.

At least prophesying misery for a client earned her a fee.

* The Truth in the Cards *

Ann had never believed in the power of tarot cards.  It was all nonsense.  There was no way that a tiny scrap of card with a bright picture on its front could predict the future.  It was ridiculous to think so.  Both she and her best friend, Eve, had agreed.

As a joke, Eve had bought Ann a cheap deck, and over a bottle of wine, they had played about with the cards.  Ann's opinion of the tarot was confirmed when she pulled out the Three of Swords, three times in a row.  The little booklet that came in the box said the card meant "heartache".  Ann scoffed at her reading.

'Heartache, indeed!' she had said.  'I've been happily married for fifteen years, and nothing looks set to change that.'

The deck was cast aside as Ann and Eve laughed at those who put their faith in such silly things.  Paper did not have the power of prediction.

A week later, Ann's husband said he was leaving her.

For Eve.

* * *

Story Notes:  The Tarot Reader is a Fiction in Fifty, a story in fifty words or less. Tarot Blues is a light hearted Tale in Twenty Five, a piece of flash fiction written in twenty five words or less. The Truth in the Tarot was written especially for this volume in November 2015. Its purpose was to showcase how dangerous it can be to scoff at that which we don't understand or worse, laugh at those who believe something different to ourselves.

* * *

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this piece of flash fiction. I hope you enjoyed it.  If you did, please consider pressing that little magic star and voting for it. If you would like to see this story expanded or extended, let me know in the comments :-)

Have a great day!