Magic by Moonlight

Celeste sat by the window looking out at the night sky. The full moon shone brightly overhead, the black expanse a pure and unadulterated backdrop for the numerous silver stars that glistened in it. Celeste loved looking up at the stars, and wondered just how long she was going to have to wait before she would join them. She had waited long enough already.

After a while, she turned away from her vantage point and gave her attention back to those within.

'It is time,' she declared.

The tiny cottage, built in a clearing in the woods was rudimentary, to say the least. The bottom half of its construction was bare crude stone, whilst the top was timber. Crowning it, a thick layer of thatch helped to protect the occupants from the most inclement of weather, but there was no getting away from the fact, it was basic. And even after all these years, Celeste was not used to it. They had once lived in a castle, but now they, Celeste and her sisters, were reduced to scratching a living from the forest, whilst they had nothing more than a dilapidated shack to call their home.

She quickly turned her mind away from what was to the present. There was important work to be done this night. This most important of nights.

'Miranda!' she called. From the far side of the room, a woman plumper than she, came bustling over.

'Did you get it?' Celeste asked. She had not had the time to question her before now. Miranda had only just returned from her journey, and Celeste had been keeping an eye on the sky. Keeping proper time in spellwork was almost as important as the ingredients one required to cast the spell in the first place.

'I did,' Miranda grinning as she handed over a large gold ring. At its centre sat a fat, blood-red ruby. 'The fool must not have discovered the secret passages beneath the castle yet. I managed to walk straight in and take it off the king's hand whilst he was sleeping.'

All the women who had gathered together burst out laughing.

'Pah! He's no king.' More laughter erupted from the room.

'He has had that castle for centuries!' one of the sister's called out. 'What has he been doing with himself?'

'From the state of the Great Hall, nothing but feasting,' Miranda answered, shuddering.

'Well selves him right then. He deserves to lose it if he cannot take proper care of it.'

A chorus of agreement went round the room, but Celeste quickly brought it to an end. 'Sisters, come now. We need no distractions tonight of all nights. We must be focused. We must be ready. The hour of the spell approaches. Let us form a circle and begin our chant. We shall need to raise as much energy as we can if we are to take back what is ours. If were are to mete out justice.'

Celeste led the way through the cottage door and out into the little garden which was currently being bathed in the light of the moon. The women were now silent as they awaited the sign from the eldest of their number. When Celeste was ready, she gave it.

And so begun the most powerful spell known to the sisters. It was a spell of unmaking. It was dark and it was dangerous and on occasion, it was also necessary. This was one of those occasions. Five centuries ago the man who now called himself king had taken Isabella, the youngest and prettiest of the sisters, captive. He had promised he would release her if they handed over the keys to the castle, something that had done willingly, for the sisters were close.

But the king reneged on the agreement and had murdered Isabella. And the sisters had waited five hundred years to enact their vengeance. 

* * *

Story Notes: I found the start of this short story sitting neglected, unfinished, in a folder on my computer. And so, I decided it would add another dimension to this volume of short stories.

* * *

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this piece of flash fiction. I hope you enjoyed it.  If you did, please consider pressing that little magic star and voting for it. If you would like to see this story expanded or extended, let me know in the comments :-)

Have a great day!