Chapter 34

Two Weeks Later...
We had gone two weeks without any attacks, but suddenly three flares came up around the city. Rhys, Cassian, and Azriel went out to one of the flares. Mor and Karshia and they went to another flare to assist one of Az's spies. Varian and Amren and they went to another flare. Lucien and Raelia stood ready to fight in the KK House. They had all used blood-feeding plan we had arranged. I had put four doses of blood in the townhouse which Elain and Nesta took, standing to defend the townhouse. I was with the kids in their nursery, in my armor and all sorts of weapons standing by. Catalina and Diana were also at the KK House, since Mor and Karshia didn't want to leave them alone in their house. I stood looking out the window, making sure no more flares came up and making sure the KK House wasn't attacked. I looked back every few seconds making sure that Astria and Cayden were still sleeping. I turned back toward the window and saw ten Arashaak emerging from behind one of the houses.

"Shit," I muttered to myself. I picked up my Illyrian sword and watched as the creatures split into two groups of five, one group headed toward the KK House and one towards me. I threw shields of air over Cayden and Astria, praying to every god and goddess I knew of, asking them to let Astria and Cayden survive. I watched as the door rattled, taking a deep breath and bracing myself. The door tore off it's hinges and the five Arashaak slithered in.

"Well, killing the High Lady and her children would be a good deed for today wouldn't it?" The middle one hissed. I snarled.

"Killing me isn't going to be that easy. So I would shut your clumsy mouth before you regret it," I said, hoping I looked menacing. They growled and attacked. I swiped a dagger from the dresser and threw it, impaling one of the Arashaak. One threw its claws out and I ducked and slashed its legs out from under it. I pushed two of them back with air, and marched to the one who's legs I slashed out and stabbed it. I could feel my magical reserve draining, and the two trapped in air clawed their way out of their invisible prisons, and the remaining three came at me, snarling. I backed up into Astria and Cayden's crib, throwing a protective shield around the three of us. I was exhausted. Using so much magic and fighting after not training for so long had taken it's toll. I wasn't sure who would see it, but I threw a flare up into the sky, and prayed I could hold them off until help arrived.

Catalina's P.O.V.
Uncle Lucien and Aunt Realia were near the back of the house fighting while Diana and I stood guarding all the kids in one of the rooms closer to the front of the house. I looked out the window in time to see a flare rise from Aunt Feyre's house.

"Crap," I muttered, nudging Diana, who turned, swearing once she saw. "Aunt Feyre's in trouble, so Diana and I are going to go help. Those who have weapons can you please come forward." There was some shuffling and then Jeremiah, Ayden, Juliana, Lilian, Liam, Kye, and Alfred came forward. "Okay listen, Diana is going to throw a shield over all of you. The only reason the Arashaak should come back here is because Uncle Lucien or Aunt Raelia is injured. If they come, throw up a flare and hold them off as best you can." They all nodded. Diana worked her magic, and nodded when the shield was in place. I turned to leave, but Jeremiah grabbed my hand.

"Be safe," he whispered. Jeremiah kissed my cheek. I believe Ayden kissed Diana's but I couldn't tell. We smiled and slid out of the window, locking it once we were outside. Then we ran to the back of Aunt Feyre's house, going around the back and hearing hisses and clangs of metal. The back door was wide open and I saw three Arashaak pounding on a shield around Aunt Feyre, Astria, and Cayden. Aunt Feyre looked weak, and I noticed a deep cut in her lower thigh. Diana and I exchanged glances and then silently slid in the room. Aunt Feyre saw us but made no sign. I made a sort of javelin with my powers and threw it, pinning two of the creatures to the wall. Diana got to work stabbing the third Arashaak before it could react. I summoned the javelin back to my hand and then stabbed them with my daggers. I ran forward and caught Aunt Feyre before she could fall to the ground. Just then Uncle Rhys burst into the room.

"Are they hurt?" He asked, but then he saw Aunt Feyre in my arms and he took her from me. He ran to a nearby closet and instructed me to put her on the ground. He pulled out a medical supply kit, pulling out an anti-venom and carefully applying it to the wound. It lost it's purple color, and Aunt Feyre sighed in her sleep. "She will be okay right? She needs sleep now? She'll wake up right? Please wake up, Feyre," Uncle Rhys said desperately. I placed a hand on his arm.

"She just needs a lot of rest. She will be okay," I assured him. He sighed, looking as if he was holding back a flood of stronger emotions. He got up to check on the babies. Then he screamed. I rushed to his side, and saw that Cayden had a cut in his arm, and he was deeply infected with poison. He brought Cayden to the changing table, Diana rushing to bring him to medical kit. I picked up Astria. I came to Uncle Rhys' side and lay Astria down next to Cayden. I watched as Uncle Rhys' shaky hand as he poured the anti-venom on his son. But it was too late. I watched as Cayden's eyes closed, and his chest stopped moving. Tears came pouring out of my eyes, as well as Diana's.

"NO! NO! WHY! BRING HIM BACK! NO!" Uncle Rhys roared, crying. I heard a thunder of footsteps, and a lot of people showed up at the door. Uncle Cassian, Uncle Azriel, Uncle Lucien, Uncle Varian, Aunt Amren, Aunt Elain, Aunt Nesta, Aunt Raelia, Mama, and Mom. I went into Mom's arms and sobbed. They saw the scene and everyone started crying. Even Aunt Amren couldn't hold back her tears. Uncle Rhys kept screaming, shoving anyone who touched him and cradling his dead child.

I looked up, and suddenly I saw Astria's hand, stretching out to touch Cayden's hand. Uncle Rhys saw it too and quieted, watching intently. Bright white light, came out from her small hand and flowed into Cayden. His heart glowed in his chest, and we watched as it came to life, beating hard, and his chest began moving up and down once again. He began breathing once again. His eyes flew open, and he looked up and Uncle Rhys and smiled. The twins were still holding hands, and their white light spread through the entire room, healing every cut and injury. I spun around to Aunt Feyre, who's eyes were open. She sat up and stared in wonder and her kids. She got to her feet and placed her hand on Uncle Rhys' shoulder. He spun around and hugged her, tears pouring down both their faces. They picked up their children, who's glow was now fading, and cradled them close, tears dripping down their faces and cradling their children tight. I realized in that moment that Aunt Feyre knew what had happened while she was asleep. Perhaps through the mating bond. We all turned and filed out, leaving the family together.

~