Chapter 15

We had brought Lukas to the High House last night, after he showered and ate dinner at the townhouse. He had stayed in one of our spare rooms, and Mor had brought some clothes for him. We had Cia watch Astria, Cayden, and Lukas today, while Rhys and I made my idea into reality. First thing in the morning, we bought the house next door to us. We hired some carpenters, who made the kitchen larger and added a large dining table, made the living room into a game room, and turned every other room into a bedroom, with bathrooms spread out in the house. Then we went out and bought toys, and clothes for both genders and all sizes. We also hired a three maids to cook for the kids. I had Karshia design posters to hang around town. We named the program KidsKare. We had all the information printed on the poster. It told the children to meet at the cafe Raelia works at, at the center of town, at 10am. We also had information for parents who would like to adopt. Elain and Azriel walked around one side of town hanging up the posters. Raelia and Lucien hung them on the other side of town.

Amren and Varian accompanied Rhys and I to buy a building to use as the school. Just before the the Rainbow, we found a large three story building, with multiple rooms. I think it used to be school. We could combine two rooms to create a training area for those who want to learn how to fight, and we would find teachers for all the other subjects. This was a school for all ages, and I knew that there would be varying degrees of how much the kids knew. We bought the building, along with chairs, desks, chalkboards, and other school materials. Pens, notebooks, workbooks, and all other supplies needed would be provided. We had another group of carpenters combine two of the school rooms into a training room. We hired a retired Illyrian soldier to teach defense class, and Azriel and Cassian said they would drop by when they had time to teach a class. One of the larger rooms was turned into a room where you could learn to use magic, if you had it. Amren volunteered to teach that class sometimes, and Rhys and I agreed to drop by to occasionally teach a class or two. We hired a Fae female from the city to teach the rest of the time. Then there were rooms for regular subjects, such as arithmetic, language (teaching grammar and how to read and write), history, science, and culture (of the different courts). There was also an art room, fully stocked with supplies. We hired another artist who would like to teach, and Karshia said she would teach one class a week. I was happy about the way everything turned out. We hired teachers for all the subjects, plus extra teachers to help teaching a specific student, or to help with teaching older students.

Lastly, we planned a public announcement to launch KidsKare. It was to happen tonight, so that we could pick up kids tomorrow and start the program. The first parent interviews were to happen two days after the interviews for the authoritative position in the Court of Nightmares. We came home, and found that the carpenters for the KidsKare house were already done, since using magic made it an efficient process. We took the kids off of Cia's hands. We told Lukas our plan, who loved it. We asked him if he wanted to sleep in the KidsKare house tonight, but he said he didn't want to be there alone, which I understand. We fed Tria and Cay and put them to sleep, before getting ready for our KidsKare announcement. I smoothed my dress, and we walked on stage, my arm hooked through Rhys'.

"Hello, Velaris! Thank you for coming, even though this public appearance was hastily scheduled. There are two reasons we came out today. The first is that our children, Astria and Cayden, are unharmed," Rhys called out. People cheered. "Here is the second reason. It recently came to our attention that there are orphaned children running on the streets of Velaris without anywhere to go. So we created a program called KidsKare. I will let the High Lady explain it as it was all her idea." Everyone cheered, and I smiled.

"Thank you. So KidsKare asks these children to meet at meet at Velafe, a cafe actually right across the street from here, at 10 in the morning everyday. The High Lord and I will be there to pick the children up and bring them to a house next to ours. They will be fed, and they can take a shower and change their clothes. Then, every week, we will meet with parents who would like to adopt a child. The child they would like to adopt will be there, and they will choose the parents they would like to live with. There is a school for these children, and any child who cannot afford can attend other schools. This program starts tomorrow, so if any kids can hear me, please come to Velafe at 10 am tomorrow! The first parent interviews will be exactly a week from today. Please contact me or the High Lord to book a time. Thank you, Velaris!" I explained the program, and ended it hoping people were inspired. Rhys and I waved, then walked off stage smiling. I sighed happily. I hoped some children heard the announcement or saw the posters.

"That went great," Rhys said to me. "You were amazing, love."

"Thanks, Rhys," I replied, happily kissing him. We went back home, and ate dinner with Lukas, before he went to bed. I offered Cia a room for tonight, and after much protesting, she took it. She retired to bed, exhausted from her day of babysitting. Tria and Cay were sleeping. Rhys and I fell asleep early to be ready for tomorrow morning.

~