Chapter 17

Day when Interviews in Court of Nightmares happen...
It was the third day since KidsKare had started. We had picked up nine more kids, four boys and five girls. The boys were Mikael (5), Karim (9), Amos (7), and Alfred (12). The five girls were Eva (10), Disina (7), Catalina (12), Briella (11), and Ruby (9). All of them had made friends with other kids. We allowed the kids to go into the city every other day. One or two of us always went with them to make sure they didn't get lost or hurt. We had also figured out which kids had magic abilities and which wanted to train. We decided that all the kids ten and older would train. School started very soon, so we could teach them all then.

Today, Rhys and I were going to the Court of Nightmares to see if anyone wanted the authoritative position. We dressed in clothes of black, but thankfully I didn't have to wear any sort of slutty costume. Instead I wore a dress that clung to my body, but it has long sleeves and went to my knees. We didn't need anybody to come with us, so they all stayed behind to take care of the children. We winnowed to the Court of Nightmares and walked into the throne room. We walked and sat on the thrones.

"Anybody who would like to interview stay here, and everyone else, please clear out. We don't want any bias in choosing the final candidates. Thank you," Rhys directed. Five people stayed, and the rest cleared out to whatever rooms they go in; I didn't know since I had never really explored the Court of Nightmares. I returned my focus the the people in front of me. There were two females and three males. We were going to alternate between genders, so we started with a male. He stepped forward, and everyone else retreated into a separate room. He wore a suit, which made a good impression, and I noticed the air of confidence around him. He had raven black hair, and he bowed to both of us.

"Your name, please," Rhys said, pen ready to jot things down on the notepad in front of him. I picked up my own pen to write my notes.

"Joshua Tanyes, sir and miss," he replied, bowing again. I wrote down his name, along with the fact that he is respectful, and not sexist (that was important to me). Rhys asked most of the questions, and interjected with a few I thought of. The most important questions were "Why do you want this job?" and "What will you do to make the Court of Nightmares better?"

Joshua answered the first with, "For a long time, I have watched from the sidelines as Keir has continually disrespected you both and brought the entire Night Court down. I don't want the Night Court's reputation to go down, as we have just brought it up and reunited most of Prythian. I want this job to change things and to make this a place of happiness, but the outside should know this is not a place to be messed with." We nodded, jotting his answer down. He answered the second question. "I will make sure everyone has equal rights, and no one gets brought down. I will see to it that family life and homes improve, and I will listen to the people and hope to satisfy their needs." We nodded again, saying thank you. Rhys and I looked at each other, and I entered Joshua's mind, just to make sure he wasn't lying. I knew it was wrong, but Keir had been a liar and we didn't want that situation to repeat itself. I didn't go further than his plans for the Court, then pulled out and nodded at Rhys, confirming that his statements were true.

Next we saw a female, who's name was Danise Pater. She looked a little nervous, but she also dressed well in a dress and high heels, with a blazer. She had brown hair, and she was a little petite, but she spoke with confidence. She told us she wanted the job to prove that she can do good for the place she lives. She said she also would like to bring the Night Court up. She answered the second question with something similar to what Joshua had said. She that she would personally plant gardens to brighten the place up and walk around the Court to get people's opinions on what needs to be changed. Life in the homes is pretty bad, and she said she will improve homes for free. She is willing to take part in our KidsKare program, and would send orphaned children to us in Velaris, in hopes that they will have a better life. Rhys checked her mind, and she wasn't lying either. So far, I liked both our candidates.

Next was another male, Anthoni Ramos. He hadn't dressed up, and he seemed very nonchalant about the whole thing. He answered the first question by saying, "Oh I want to be in power. That might be cool." He answered the second question with, "I don't know. Have more parties!"

Okay this guy is definitely not being chosen. I glanced at Rhys.

Yeah, he wasn't on my list the second he walked in. Rhys agreed. We didn't even check his mind, just sent him away, knowing he wasn't a candidate.

Next was a female, Frannisha Hanioa. She was wearing a long skirt and a shirt with a blazer. She had long strawberry blonde hair, and she walked in very confidently. She announced her name. Rhys asked her the first question.

"I want the job because I have many ways to improve the Court of Nightmares, and I want to make those into reality. I'm a very determined person, and I'm determined to make this place worthy of the Night Court. I want this job so I can make a difference to people," she said. I liked her morals.

"Thank you. What will you do to make the Court of Nightmares better?" Rhys asked.

"I will get people's opinions and have weekly meeting where people can tell me what they want to change, or what they need. I will fix homes for free, and supply fresh food and water, also for free. As a kid, my mom was very poor, as my dad died when I was very young. My mom would only grieve all the time, and my younger brother didn't do anything to help. So, as a fifteen-year- old, I was running down the streets, stealing food, and maybe going into the woods to bring home water from a pond, and maybe shoot a rabbit or squirrel. I know what it's like to be poor, and I want to improve life for those people. I am also willing to participate in your KidsKare program. We could have a house here for them, and whenever you come you can take them to Velaris, or we can hold interviews for potential parents here. I know there are people who want children here but are unable to have children themselves." She finished, and Rhys checked her mind and said she wasn't lying.

She reminds me of...well me. I said kind of shocked.

That's what I thought. I thought, wow she's exactly like my Feyre so she must have great potential. I laughed internally. The last male made big talk for someone who was a liar. When we found his real plans to overthrow us, we made him confess and he was put in prison. We announced that our final candidates were Joshua Tanyes, Danise Pater, and Frannisha Hanioa. The citizens of the Court of Nightmares would vote for the final candidate.

~