2~Safe

"You've obviously been planning an escape mission for a while now" Derek joked as he looked up at the house he couldn't believe his mother was able to get on short notice.

"It was my sisters, she never rented it out" Talia told him, helping Cora out of the back seat "Said if we ever needed a safe space, we're always welcome here"

"Remind me to thank aunt Jenna next time I see her" Derek shook his head at how nice the house looked from a distance.

"Need a makeover" Cora gagged from the porch, screeching when a spider crawled over her foot.

"That can be all your job, little one" Derek picked her up, protecting her from the spiders, pushing a suitcase into the house when Talia unlocked the door.

"It needs more than a makeover" Thomas groaned, already knowing he's gonna have to have an involvement in helping tidy the place up.

"Don't be ridiculous, it just needs a good clean is all" Talia encouraged, tugging a cover off the sofa, a bunch of dust flying in the air.

"Mom, you can't be around all the dust" Derek took the cover away from her, throwing it on the floor.

"Darling, I'm pregnant...a little dust won't do any harm" she took Cora from his arms, directing to the car for the other suitcases.

"I'm gonna pick my room!" Thomas squealed, running off before he was forced to clean.

"Oldest gets first pick" Derek pushed his younger brother to the side, skipping a few steps on the way. 

"No fair, I got small legs" Cora yelled, slipping out of her mothers grasps, chasing after her brothers.

"Tommy, you better open this door, right now" was the first thing Cora heard when she turned the corner.

"What you doing, Derek?" Cora questioned innocently, rocking back and forth on her heels.

"I saw it first" Thomas argued from behind the closed door.

"I'm the oldest" Derek stated, like it was an obvious argument.  

"That is not a fair argument, man" Thomas' face was blank when he opened the door.

"I don't care, now move" Derek went to push past him, when Thomas blocked him by raising his arms to rest on either side of the doorframe "That's how you wanna play it, fine" before the young boy knew it, he was being picked up and thrown over Derek's shoulder.

"Derek, you better put me down, right now!" Thomas kicked against him, fighting to get out of Derek's tight grip.

"Whatever you say" Derek dropped him, making him land on the ground hard.

"Ugh boys" Cora took the fact how her brothers were distracted to her advantage, claiming the room as her own when she slammed the door shut.

"Cora" Derek exclaimed, hearing the door shut behind them "Open the door"

"There's no lock, stupid" Thomas scoffed, pushing the door open to see their younger sister sitting on the floor playing with her barbie and horse toy set.

"Wanna play barbie?" she questioned innocently.

"Barbie? Do I wanna play...you little shi-" Derek smacked Thomas on the back of the head before he could finish that sentence "Oww"

"Language!" Derek pointed out, with a grimace on his face, causing Cora to giggle "Look what you're teaching her" he gave up at that point, deciding to leave the room to his little sister.

"I didn't teach her anything" exclaimed Thomas, following after Derek

A few hours later (10pm)

"It's only 10 o'clock" Thomas claimed, getting into bed regardless.

"It's gonna be a busy day tomorrow" Talia told him with a smile, tucking him into bed, regardless of how old her kids are.

"Do we have to go to school?" the boy complained, wanting to do anything but that.

"Yes you do, now go to sleep" Derek appeared by the door, arms crossed over his chest. 

"Shut up dork" Thomas laughed, to which Derek only scoffed.

"Night honey" Talia kissed his forehead, brushing a stray piece of hair out of his eye.

"Night" Thomas said, burying his head into the pillow.

Once the both of them were downstairs, Derek started on putting the cleaning supplies back in the cupboards "This place is looking better, at least" Talia spoke, handing Derek a rag.

"Got to make it look like a home for them" Derek said, a smile wavering over his lips.

"You get to be happy, Derek" Talia said, making Derek look at her "This is a new start for all of us"

"Doesn't mean I'll stop looking after them" Derek pointed out, he's been doing it for years, it's not like he's just gonna stop.

"I know, and you're so amazing for doing that" she placed a reassuring hand on his bicep "But you're their brother honey, don't feel like you have to take over for him"

"Who else is going to?" Derek questioned, crossing his arms, having already had enough of this conversation.

"I'm their mother Derek, I'm your mother, it is my job to take care of you" Talia told him, pulling his hands away from his chest.

"You're pregnant mom, you weren't allowed out of bed for 2 months after you had Cora" Derek reminded her, not trying to guilt her, but he's kept this deep down inside for too long "Who's to say it won't be the same with this baby?"

"Honey, all I'm saying is that you deserve to have a normal teenage life" she said quietly, desperately trying to convey how she's feeling.

"My childhood ended the second he forced my hand onto that table, and slammed a hammer to it" Derek said as he held up his right hand, where sometimes he could still feel the pain when he remembered back to that day.

"And you didn't deserve that, and neither did Ja-" Talia began, but was cut off.

"And you think you did, none of us deserved what he did to us" Derek scoffed, dark memories evident behind his eyes.

"I know, darling, and the way he treated you, especially" Talia felt a tear fall down her cheek.

"All because of those stupid magazines" Derek shook his head, wishing he could rewind time and hide them better.

"Magazines?" his mother questioned innocently.

"Don't pretend like you didn't know" his mother smiled at that "Since when have you known?"

"Since you were 4, you always talked about how all the boys wanted to play with Jenny on brake time, but you said you'd rather play with Logan" Talia smiled at the memory, wishing she could jump back in time to experience that again.

"And you didn't hate me?" Derek questioned nervously.

"Of course not, you're my son" Talia pulled him into a hug, where had she gone wrong to make him think he couldn't tell her "I love you, no matter what"

"I love you mom, so much" Derek buried his head the crook of her neck, letting a few stray tears fall.

He fell asleep with a smile on his face that night, not having to worry about anything, or having to stay awake to protect his family, he hadn't had that in years, and he was so happy that him and his family are finally in a safe place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Published~ September 24, 2018

Re-updated: November 4, 2020