an unconventional tragedy

sweet girl, are you so soft?

with lungs full of ash burned from blood-pumped kerosene, held together by stretched scar tissue and safety pins, the stench of smoke following you wherever you go with blackened fingertips rusted by ware, an inferno in your gaze that's almost dead but not yet (but are you burning for the right reason?)

you are battle born and field-tested, restless and ready to devour. an outdated model of whatever breed you are, but you're still breathing. survival was never in your nurture, so you ensured it was boiled into your nature. you're not swift in the ways of violence, but achieve a destruction within yourself that is too be horrifically admired.

but bitter girl, are you so horrifying?

your heart may be flooded by fuel, but that organ has only gotten larger. you're bursting at the seams; don't pretend your veins aren't fraying but there's still a pulse thundering. you're softer, softer than you were ever meant to be and it's to easy to slip a sharp edge right between your bruised ribs. it hurts to have that wound clawed open too many times yet you never learn.

your split open at every end and patched up only by stained bandages that are being burned away. you run too hot, you exist like a flame but the rest of your being cannot stand to be on fire. you're filled to the brim with mistakes and messy intentions and trauma and it's given you a halo that isn't all that heavenly. you aren't an angel, but hell kissed you on the cheek and left you anyway. so what are you?

you are everything and the universe has deemed that to be too much.

- an ode to my original characters
subject: mara