Chapter 10 - Behind a Mask

~~~ Noah

Noah could not believe he had let Willaminia talk him into joining the Royal Masked Ball. Still, nothing he said seemed to have any effect on her belief that he would participate in the festivities.

The woman had planned everything.

She hadn't needed any help with the masks. It had been a ruse.

By asking him to help her, she managed to get him to the palace. Once he was there she had given him a large box and told him plainly, "Put it on."

He at first thought that it was a uniform of some sort, but nothing was that easy with Willaminia.

Why hadn't he seen it coming?

Who would have?

It had already been a long day, and unfortunately for him the night just started.

He had young Ladies coming up to him and asking him what his 'name' was and if he was free for the next dance. Wasn't he supposed to be the one asking them?

He felt exhausted from all of the attention that he had been getting.

Willaminia told him that his masked persona was called Lord Coal, and Lord Coal had a favor from nearly every girl that spoke with him. It was impossible for him to walk two feet without being noticed.

Then he caught sight of her.

Well it looked like her. He hadn't actually seen her in the last six weeks, but the woman had the same eyes, and the same raven colored hair as the vision that had been following him around the Manor.

Still he couldn't be sure if it was her, or if his eyes were playing tricks on him.

During one of the dances he had managed to sit out, Noah caught sight of her dancing with a man in a brown suit. He wasn't sure if she had seen him yet, but his heart sank when he saw her hand the man a handkerchief, just like the many others ladies had given him.

Noah knew what they meant and yet he couldn't understand why it hurt him so much to see.

He turned away from the sight and began to walk through the ballroom, looking for some place he could be alone.

As a young woman started walking towards him, Duchess Amber if he remembered correctly, a set of double doors caught his attention. Without a second thought Noah opened one and slipped out of the claustrophobic ballroom and into the cool night air.

~~~ Alexandria, Same Scene

Alexandria was astonished as she peered out from behind one of the stone pillars. The Grand Ballroom, normally cold and empty, danced before her in a whirl of color.

She had become exceedingly more nervous about the Masked Ball as it drew closer, but once it had started she felt like she had six weeks ago at the Market, overwhelmed.

At least she felt beautiful in her dress. The silver-green fabric snugly hugged each of her curves without feeling binding. Her hair had been pulled back and cascade of soft curls fell lightly over her shoulders.

Her disguise made her feel like a completely new person.

She felt free.

She had been able to bypass the line of nobles waiting to retrieve a specific mask from Madam Pumberly since she already had one of her own. Her silver mask with dark green accents fit to her face perfectly, and kept her identity a secret.

Alexandria had the night to herself, at least until midnight.

Once she left the safety of her pillar, Alexandria noticed many different eyes on her. People of different shapes, sizes, and colors had noticed her. She scanned the room, but couldn't seem to find the one person that she was looking for.