Chapter 34 - Value

Chapter 34 - Value

~~~ Queen Valerie

When Queen Valerie finally found her daughter, she was sitting next to a sleeping Noah in The Lookout Inn. Both of Alexandria's hands clasped firmly around one of his and she was rubbing the back of it with her thumb.

"How's he doing?" Valerie asked softly.

Alexandria looked up at her, but never released her grasp from the man sleeping next to her.

"The doctor said that his upper arm had been broken, but it was set improperly while onboard. They had to break it again so that it could heal correctly." She sighed and shook her head at him. "He also broke a wrist, is apparently covered in bruises, his breathing is ragged, and he has a head inquiry that seems to be infected."

Alexandria glanced at Noah disapprovingly, before looking back up at Queen Valerie, still keeping his hand clasped within hers. "He went for a walk this morning before we got in. How could he be so careless? He practically collapsed when he returned."

Queen Valerie pulled up a chair and placed her hand on her daughter's lap to offer her some comfort. "How are you holding out?"

Her daughter looked up at her in surprise, but Valerie noticed several tears escape Alexandria's eyes. "I've been better." It was all that she managed to say before Noah released another shaky breath and she was back to watching him.

Valerie closed her eyes and mentally prepared herself for what she was about to tell her daughter. She just hoped that at the very least it would take Alexandria's mind off of the worry, if only for a while.

"Alexandria dear, you do realize that Noah isn't a noble, right?"

"It's all King Heralf's fault." She answered bitterly. Valerie hadn't expected that reaction.

"Darling," She said startled, "I don't understand. What's King Heralf's fault?"

Alexandria's hazel eyes found her brown ones, "Noah and Philip are brothers." Her response was so quiet that Valerie almost didn't catch it.

"What do you mean they're brothers?" She asked doubtfully.

A sigh escaped her daughter's lips and her eyes focused once more on the person lying in the table next to her. "Terrafeuw's Queen, Gwenwyn, wasn't a casualty of the war all those years ago." Alexandria began to explain. "She fled to Alminia after the Royal Sanctuary was burned. Apparently she had kept her pregnancy a secret, and it remained a secret until King Freddrick responded to the ransom note."

Valerie stared at her daughter and then again at the man passed out on the table and couldn't help but notice the uncanny similarities between him and Prince Philip.

"Why didn't you tell us about Noah's position when you and Prince Phillip arrived?" She asked.

Alexandria released a long sigh before saying. "King Freddrick is afraid that if Heralf found out about the existence of a second Terrafein Prince that his attention would shift. As long as Noah's identity remains a secret, he's safe from Heralf's tyranny."

The story seemed too fantastic to believe, but something told Valerie that it was absolutely true. A distant memory, or perhaps something she had over heard long ago; it didn't really matter what had convinced her, just that something had.

"You love him." She stated easily, even though she had known for quite some time.

Although Alexandria didn't look at her, Valerie saw her face pale and then slowly turn scarlet.

She glanced at her mother, then at Noah, and then back to her. "Yes." She whispered, her voice was soft, yet filled with resolve. "But- He's not a Noble. He can't be a Noble."