Chapter 5 - Feelings and Secrets

^Bert and Annie Byrns

Chapter 5 - Feelings and Secrets

Noah was unable to comprehend his earlier actions towards Lady Tompson.

How could he have been so careless around a member of Society?

What had he been thinking?

Why had he treated her with such familiarity and in front of Ms. Willaminia and Kimmie? How had he forgotten their presence? They had seen him act absolutely improper.

And so had she. She saw him approach her with barely a space for breath between them. She watched as his hand moved of its own accord towards her. She heard him utter words that a no servant should ever dare say to members of Society, no matter their kingdom of origin.

What had caused him to commit such actions?

Perhaps he could have blamed her eyes. Lady Tompson possessed eyes so entrancing that no man could have looked away from her. Her eyes, in contrast to her black hair, were filled with a plethora of color. She had an otherworldly type of beauty.

Who was he kidding; she was a member of Society from across the mountains, so of course she looked otherworldly.

Noah shouldn't have been blaming her anyway. He was the one in error. He had acted first and against all rules of social conduct.

But why?

That's what he couldn't understand. Why had he done it?

"You're sighing again, Noah." A chuckle informed from behind him.

"You should have seen her Bert." Noah exclaimed, as he tried to understand what had happened to him.

He didn't need to look up at the man in front of him to know that Bert was frowning. "Listen Noah, I know that everyone has been messing with you for a while about not having a girl and all, but you just can't be acting this way. This Lady is someone that you barely know and someone who you never would have met under normal circumstances."

Noah gave Bert a pointed look and then returned to staring at his hands. He knew that Bert was right, but something inside of him refused to let her go.

Why?

"Besides," Bert's voice boomed, breaching his thoughts, "she's a Lady Noah, a proper Lady. You are...Noah, a life long servant to people who treat you poorly simply because they can. This Lord Jenkins that you are pretending to be, he... he does not exist."

"You're right Bert." Noah agreed, "I know that. I never should have done what I did, even if I was a member of Society. It helps knowing that I shall never see her again, but-"

"But?" The old man scoffed interrupting him. "There's no but in this situation, Noah. If you even think about trying to see this Lady again-"

"-Annabell." He corrected, interrupting Bert. "Her name is Annabell Tompson."

"Is it now?" The man questioned.

"Is what now?" Noah asked, not even realizing what he had said.

Bert rolled his eyes at him, "If you try and seek out Lady Tompson, it will only make matters worse for you than they already are."

Noah wanted to follow Bert's instructions. He knew that the man was right, but... he couldn't think past the images of her that kept bombarding his thoughts.

"I won't pursue her," He finally managed, "if that's what you're worried about Bert then I can promise you that much, but... but it doesn't mean that I'll stop thinking about her anytime soon. I just... I can't understand why I did what I did, and yet I can't make myself regret even a single moment of it!"