Chapter 9 - Counting Down the Days

^ Tilly Ferguson

Chapter 9 - Counting Down the Days

~~~ Alexandria, Three Weeks Left

Alexandria's head was spinning. There were people everywhere getting the castle ready for the upcoming ball. No, her upcoming ball.

Anything that could be done three weeks prior to the event was currently being done. The ballroom and the hallways were receiving fresh coats of paint, the guest rooms' linens were being pressed, servants were washing windows and cleaning out fireplaces, and everything was being swept and dusted. Alexandria hated how busy the palace seemed.

Most of her lessons, besides etiquette and dance, had been postponed until after the celebration. Most days she hid herself in the Tower so she could escape the hassle being created on her behalf.

Today, however, was different.

She had to be nearby to greet guests as arrived.

Alexandria found herself wondering about the library looking for anything to keep her attention. As she aimlessly walked through the foreign historical shelves her eyes locked on a book entitled "The Cities and Landscapes of Terrafeuw."

Most books that she read during her history lessons had titles like "Royal Families and Famous Wars: The History of ________." She usually read about the nearby Kingdoms, but her mother insisted she begin lessons on the Kingdom that her possible fiancé had grown up in.

The Kingdom Terrafeuw had many trade ports along the sea, and Shanri Dessert made all land paths to Terrafeuw treacherous. This profitable defense advantage made the Trade Kingdom a target in the eyes of Heralf, the Rramnon King. The war lasted over ten years, and was devastating. The Terrafein Queen was one of the many casualties of that war. Her death had been tragic, but a treaty between the two Kingdoms had eventually put an end to the fighting.

The book in Alexandria's hands didn't mention the war or it's victims. It didn't mention any of King Freddrick's or Prince Phillip's many qualities. Instead, it contained vast amounts of meticulously hand drawn images of different Terrafein cities.

Alexandria found herself immersed in the pictures. She wondered which town Lord Jenkins grew up in. Was he born closer to the Shanri Dessert, or the Caprise Coastline? He was a Lord so that meant that he most likely came from a main city, the fishing town of Calta perhaps, or the market town of Gredani.

Did Lord Noah Jenkins know that Princess Alexandria was engaged to Prince Phillip or had the Terrafein Royals kept the engagement a secret?

Would he be upset when he found out that Lady Annabell Tompson from Londain didn't exist? Would he ever find out?

He said that he had already been visiting his relatives for two months because of his Aunt's marriage. It was unlikely that he would stay until the Ball but Miss Willaminia promised to make sure he was there.

How?

Alexandria had a strange desire to see him, he had been extremely respectful, and yet not as high collared as most men in the Society.

She stared at the images in the book and tried to imagine Lord Jenkins within them. Alexandria had been completely lost in thought when a small cough alarmed her.

"Tilly," she gasped seeing her escort standing a few feet from her. "You startled me."

"Forgive me, Malady." She answered timidly, "I did not mean any harm."

"Think nothing of it," Alexandria assured, "One deserves to be startled when they decide that the floor of the library is a proper place for reading." She stood up and tried to shake out her skirts in a dignified manner. "Have the guests started arriving?" She asked, changing the subject.