52. Confessions

Francisca took them to a hotel she was staying at. Reno did not like the idea of listening to a stranger but Rai was curious and her this woman who claimed to be her mother, Francisca, was content to accommodate their suspicions by seeing them alone.

As soon as the door to Francisca's room closed behind them, she started to explain herself. "Cliff told me why you left Korrik so I had all the slave sales in my region monitored." Francisca dropped herself into a lounger and invited Rai to sit on a chaise lounge in front of her. "When I found out where your kids were, I bought them. Help you out a bit. I didn't send them home because I wanted you to come to me."

"Why now?" Rai asked flatly as she sat. Reno went to stand behind her. "Why not come get me from Korrik if you wanted to see me so badly?"

"Because those aren't your kids but you're out here doing this anyway. You saved those girls in Morrisuke and you saved Reno's life even if he didn't deserve it."

"Why does that matter?"

"My remaining time is limited and you are my only child. I was hesitant to call on you. I didn't know what you were like. Your father didn't seem to be able to tell me much about you either in his letters."

"We never did get along," Rai confessed.

"But hearing all the things you've done for others, without expecting anything for it, I'm sure you'd make a better Empress than I have."

"Lily told me she wasn't my mom. She said my actual mom delivered me to Korrik right after I was born."

"Yeah, I thought it would be best to keep you humble. The only problem with the situation is that you're not married. A woman, even a rightful heir like Marlene Suoh, can't inherit the empire alone. That's why Cliff's been so cautious with you all these years. When you marry, your husband will become Emperor. Just a little something for you both to consider."

"Both?" Rai repeated.

"Reno," Francisca addressed him, "I suggest you not bother wasting her time if you don't intend to commit to anything here. Bernard Lorein would make her a perfectly suitable husband and Emperor of Ipalzia so if commitment scares you, I suggest you run off now. Rai, I'd like you to move into the palace and do a little training. No commitment necessary yet. You could walk away whenever you wanted."

"Nah," Rai held her hands up, telling Francisca to wait, "you want me to stay here? Live in your palace and learn to be some regal cunt?"

Francisca smiled and closed her eyes. "Cliff said you'd feel that way. I know it's all sudden and bizarre but as I already told you, your father and I agreed to this already. He wanted a child. I needed an heir. There's nothing else to it. I have your father's letters if you want proof."

"No, it's fine but I can't stay here. I mean, I don't know..."

"Well, I was already renting another room in anticipation for you. Down the hall. You can stay there the night and think about what you want to do. The kids will be here in the morning. I'll have them brought to your room." She took a card key from her pocket and held it out to Rai. "Room fifty-seven."

* * *

Rai entered room fifty-seven with Reno and left her backpack by the door before going straight to the couch. Reno closed the door softly and approached her with a heavy sigh. "So... what're you going to do?" he wanted to know instantly.

"I don't know."

"I was sure you had your mind made up already but are you really thinking about it?"