39. Forest

After receiving the locations of the other two children, they left Antonio's house. The next place they had to visit was a small farm village on Mount Khoa called Laksha. Once they were outside of Minesce, Ken explained to them what the road ahead was going to be like. He described the wilderness of Anasese as a rainforest containing spaces of dense isolated jungles.

Rai took a deep breath before looking over at Roxanne. She told her quietly, "would you take Isaac to the ship?"

"What? Why?" he asked her before Roxanne could respond.

"Because you don't need to be here and you'll just get tired of walking anyway."

"I won't."

"You will and I won't always be able to keep you safe."

"It wasn't a problem before."

Reno wanted to help Rai so he butted in, "look, these wilds, they've got it all. Banshees, tatzelwurms, minhocao and grootslang and carnivorous trees."

"Oh yeah?" Isaac snapped, "I bet they got a kraken out there too, don't they?"

"Well, let's not be ridiculous."

"Really, Reno?" Roxanne scoffed. "A grootslang? When was the last the time anyone saw one of those?"

"Anyone who hasn't should be grateful for their luck. Those things are hard to kill."

"And I suppose you have, Mister I've-done-everything-and-everyone?"

"Ah, that's rich. You wish I'd sink low enough to fuck that bottomless pit you call a pussy."

"Oh, you have standards now?" Roxanne threw up her hands as she laughed. "Well, that's new. Must be a real change from fucking every pussy in sight."

"I don't fucking know you, bitch, and you don't know me."

"Not like there's a lot to know but I am curious. Do you kill all the people you fuck or are some just lucky enough to not have to live with the trauma?"

"Okay!" Rai yelled suddenly.

"What?" Roxanne shrugged calmly. "I want to know. I think we should all know, don't you?"

Rai pointed at Reno, now that it was apparent that Roxanne was not going to comply. "Shut. Up."

He held up his hands as though he were surrendering and took a step back. "Whatever you say," he said bowing his head slightly to her.

Roxanne clapped her hands dramatically, "now, there's a good little bitch. Don't cross your master." Reno smiled down at her, fighting the urge to say something that would make her silent instantly. Roxanne grabbed Rai's wrist suddenly, telling her, "I have to tell you something."

They vanished in Roxanne's smoke and appeared in the tunnel down to Minesce. Roxanne wanted to be far enough from the others that they could not see or hear them.

"What? Rai asked her.

"I can't take your kid," Roxanne announced angrily. "I won't. Clearly, I can't leave you alone."

"You don't have to watch me."

"No, I obviously do! Every time I warn you, I turn around and you're right there with him again. And I know I'm not the only one who's told you to watch your ass and you're just ignoring us."

"What are you talking about?"

"Reno!"

"What about him?"