4. Arrival

The following day, the small army of about fifty soldiers, Tolaymus had put together approached Red Back Pass. Kiyo and Reno were on opposite sides at the back. Tolaymus was in the front on top of Skurge. He noticed that the entire pass was barricaded with boulders and rubble.

"Hmm." He turned Skurge sideways so that he could study the barricade briefly. "Not completely foolish, these gyptians. They can surprise you," he thought aloud to himself.

Rai and Lestat had been watching the small army approach from atop the pass. Rai turned to her father, Cliff, who approached her. "Everyone's cleared out," he whispered. "I'll have the archers move up."

"Make sure no one looses an arrow until one of us says so. After they do-"

"I'll have them move into position to push the boulders off the top of the pass."

"Then they move to side facing the camp and take out any soldier that gets in there. Do not send anyone down. I don't want to lose anyone to these ass hats."

"Yeah." He turned to a group made of anyone strong enough to pull back a bowstring and motioned for the archers to move up.

Rai looked down the pass at Tolaymus and his scorpion. She closed her eyes and exhaled slowly. Lestat touched her arm slightly with only the tips of his fingers. "Ready?" he asked softly.

"Nope."

He punched her arm suddenly, which she instantly grabbed while glaring at him. "Ready now?"

She smiled widely as she stepped off the edge of the cliff and Lestat followed. They hovered above the loose sand on the ground before landing on it softly. Tolaymus smiled at the sight and approached them on his scorpion. Rai spoke before he even stopped. "I suggest you haul ass out of here."

Tolaymus smirked at her, amused by her willingness to confront him. "Let the boy speak, woman. I've no interest in hearing about your day."

She scoffed but the side of her mouth curled into a smile. "Seeing as how this camp is under my protection, I'll be the one talking."

Tolaymus lifted his eyebrows, doubtful of whether or not Rai was being honest. "Whoever would charge a gyptian wench with the care of his people needs to be severely medicated. In any case, I am not inclined to depart from you any time soon. No one raises threats to a General and gets to walk away unscathed."

"It's not up for debate." Rai shrugged then pointed at him, saying, "I suggest you leave on your own before that's not an option anymore."

"Well," Tolaymus leaned forward until his face was right in front of hers. Lestat gripped Rai's arm, trying to pull her back but she was not going to allow herself to seem intimidated. His voice and demeanor seemed completely different, almost playful as he smiled largely and whispered to her, "I'd like you to make me." He sat up straight again, smiling down at Rai.

Rai pocketed her hands and told him, "you're in my house. No one can protect you from me."

"Hmm." He smirked tauntingly and without turning away from her, he shouted, "Reno, take this one alive. I just have to see how mouthy she is after you're done with her." Tolaymus turned his scorpion around and returned to the other Generals after signaling to the small army. "Take down the barricade! Kill anyone you find inside!"

"Let's get in some target practice. Light 'em up!" Lestat announced and hail of flaming arrows came from atop the pass.

Skurge pulled his tail up over Tolaymus and the arrows easily bounced off his armored skin. A handful of soldiers were not so fortunate. Tolaymus pushed Skurge's tail away and glared at Rai who smiled as she made eye contact with him then saluted him dramatically.