49. Reputation

Rai joined Lestat and Roxanne working under the supervision of Debra. They cleared the debris from the kitchen, cleaning it and repairing what could be repaired. Ken was sitting in the bridge, keeping an eye on Reno, who was lying in his hammock. Marlene was in the second floor of the hold with the kids.

It was already dark outside when Ken came into the hold to tell Debra that Kiyo had returned. "Well, where is he?" Debra snapped.

"Told him to wait outside. I know you want to kill him."

Debra closed her eyes and waved him off. "You know me too well but leaving him out there with Reno? Not too smart on your part."

"He, uh... wants to talk to Rai."

Debra nodded once. "Good. Maybe she can slap some sense into him for me. Rai, the asshole is back. He wants you to go kick his ass again."

"Alright, if that's what he wants."

Rai went out to the deck and saw Kiyo waiting by the door of the hold. She gestured for him to stay silent then for him to follow her. She led him into her cabin and closed the door behind him. Water was dripping from his long hair and his soaked clothes splattered water each time he moved. He smelled like the ocean and it made Rai cringe. She took a deep breath but before she could say anything, he did.

"What do you see in him?"

"I don't know what you're talking about so I can't very well tell you, can I?"

"I saw you with Reno. You know I did."

Rai shrugged to seem unconcerned. "Yeah, I was with him and so what?"

"I saw him kiss you."

"No, he didn't."

"He did and you let him. You let him and you kissed him back."

"That's not what happened," Rai chuckled. "You were down on the beach. Yes, he was holding me but that's only because he helped me with something in Minesce. It was just a hug."

"Yeah, I bet he was thrilled to give you whatever you needed!"

"I arrived in Minesce first!" Rai yelled to shut him up. "Had to deal with a possessed corpse in the catacombs under the temple of Ylan."

"Psychic powers don't work on corpses."

"And I figured that out when it majorly fucked me up."

"What does that have to do with him?"

"I was mad. I was pissed that I thought everything was going to be fine. I thought I'd deal with the problem and get Isaac back without needing anyone's help. Instead, I got lost in the catacombs, couldn't do a damn thing to these fucked up, twisted corpses. There was so many of them and it just kept getting worse. I couldn't believe that I failed. I was so frustrated, all I could do was cry about it and he made me feel better. I was grateful to him for that. You flipped out over nothing. I'm sure he would've loved for it to be something else but it wasn't."

"I know what he wants from you."

"And you think I don't? Line's been drawn and no one can pass it without my permission. There's nothing to worry about."

"I can't help it. You know I worry because I-"

"No!" she gasped suddenly. "Don't. Just... stop before you say something you regret."

"I'd only regret not telling you sooner that I love you."

"Well, I don't feel that for you," she responded quickly. "You can't do stuff like that." She gestured toward the location of the kitchen. "And all over something you thought you saw? Over feelings for me that I don't have for you? That's insane."