five. - count dracula

CHAPTER FIVE

TUESDAY. october 31st — forks high school

THINGS got better and worse since the first day of the Cullen's arrival. Talk had died down some, Jessica and the other gossips having already spread the bigger pieces of information with the school; those pieces being that Rosalie Hale and Emmett Cullen were dating, and that Alice Cullen was asexual. They got worse however, because Jasper Hale seemed to created with the sole intent to drive Ezra completely and utterly insane. That was the only solution that he found could possibly fit the situation. Jasper Hale was always making his head explode and his heart beat faster. It was out of irritation of course, and anger. He was angry that Jasper had such interesting golden eyes, and such a unique shade of honey hair, and such an annoyingly smooth southern accent.

They talked more than Ezra assumed he would communicate with the strange alien family, especially since no one in that family made much of an attempt to integrate with the general population of Forks High School. Rosalie and Alice didn't try out for the cheer squad, while the boys didn't brag about the sports they were best at. The five strangers made no attempt to be anything but what they were: strangers. Their conversations seemed to be an exception though, one Ezra was very glad no one had taken notice to. If he were being completely honest, Ezra could admit that some small, tiny, miniscule part of him might enjoy the company of Jasper Hale just a little bit. It was the dry sense of humor and oddness that Ezra had never seen in his life that made the blonde find at least a few slightly redeeming qualities in the strange golden eyed boy.

He walked into first period several days after his first encounter with the Hale boy and let a small smirk rise to his face when their eyes met. Making his way to his seat he was stopped twice, once by a teammate who slapped his shoulder and spoke animatedly about the big game that Friday, and a brunette who let her manicured nails linger on his bicep and breasts press against his chest when she wished him a happy Halloween; he had to have been imagining the way Jasper's eyes darkened when Ezra's own eyes darted to get his reaction. Why did he care what Jasper's reaction was?

"Hello Ezra." Jasper greeted with a tilt of his head that coincided with the upwards tilt of his lips.

"Hey Jasper." He greeted back with a nod, keeping his head slightly turned to the left as he had given up all pretenses of pretending that he cared about his history grade a few days prior.

He and Jasper Hale were friendly. They spoke on a regular basis during first period and some days during last period, though more often than not Ezra was surrounded by his friends and Jasper was content to lean against a back fence or wall, hidden by shadows. Ezra could sometimes swear the honey haired male was watching him, but considering the fact that he never actually caught the other boy in the act, he was probably just being paranoid. So yes, Jasper Hale and he were certifiable acquaintances, and Ezra had no moral or social obligation to ask him to the party that night, yet that's exactly what he did. "Hey Hale, there's a party tonight at Tyler Crowley's. If your interested or whatever you're welcome to come."

he shrugged awkwardly and looked away. Was it hot in the usually cool classroom? Was he getting sick? Why did his face suddenly feel hot? Thankfully, the golden eyed male didn't seem to notice his bodies inner temperature conundrum because he just smiled, though those golden eyes did seem to tinkle even more than usual and dear God why was his face getting even hotter?

"Thank you for the offer darlin'." What was it with that fucking nickname. "But I'm going to have to pass."

"Well I'm not exactly surprised." Ezra wasn't, and that feeling in his chest definitely wasn't disappointment. Then to get the conversation away from that weird new feeling, Ezra asked the first thing that came to mind. "Ezra quickly changed the topic go something safer. With a mischievous look in his eye and mouth curving into a smirk he asked. "What are you going as, or are you to old and boring for Halloween?"