one. - faster than the flash

CHAPTER ONE.

THURSDAY. october 12th — north port high school

RUN! It was the one word running through Ezra's brain, 'Run, don't stop, don't let them stop you. You have the ball Ezra, don't screw this up.'

This was it, the score was even, the clock was running down– getting closer and closer to zero with every footfall he took. Ezra didn't dare look up to see just how much time he had, instead, he just did what he did best; run like a bat out of hell. Ten yards to go and the crowd is screaming at the top of their lungs, it was a long drive to get from Forks to NPHS, nobody came out just to watch the team lose. Five yards and the chance to beat Green River Private School, the currently undefeated champions, was within grasp. Three yards and a smile lights up Ezra's face. One yard and the visitor's side of the field is going insane.

One step and Ezra's entered the end zone, the buzzer goes off a second later. Ezra throws the ball into the ground, turning to his teammates, vibrating with pent up energy and excitement,  his is teammates who surround him at this point, pushing and shoving at his shoulders, his helmet, singing his praises. 

"Holy shit E." 

"That's my fucking boy."

"Way to fucking go Newton."

Ezra is in heaven, euphoric in a way he's never been before; grinning like a maniac he lets their coach pull off his helmet. Ezra can feel the sweat on his neck and heat at his nape but any feelings of discomfort are soothed with the soft yet persistent touch of cold hands on his and the familiar feeling of Lauren's lips on his. Ezra returns the kiss enthusiastically, hands touching the material of her cheer uniform like the many times he had done before. Though he pulls away when he hears his coach yell something about saving it for the afterparty which sets the team off. Ezra chuckles, more because of the endorphins that race through his bloodstream and collide with his cells and less because of the shitty joke or girl in his arms.

"Oh, I'm sure we'll be doing more than this at the afterparty," Lauren whispers into his ear, hands tugging suggestively at his hair and Ezra's grin turns sharp, lips tugging into a satisfied smirk because yes, that sounded like a good way to burn off some energy.

"I'll see you there." He replies, taking her wrists and moving them away from his head Ezra turns, clapping Tyler on the shoulder and shouting a quick "I'll catch you in the locker room."

He takes off towards the stands, stopping every so often to shake hands with a coach or dap up teammates and random students as they congratulate him on his big score. He thanks them happily, soul bursting with a smug joy that he did this. He won this for them.

Soon enough Ezra makes it to the stands, finding his family easily. They swarmed like bees as they rushed to congratulate him.

"Ezra! You id so well honey, I'm so proud of you!" His mother, Katie is the first to approach and Ezra's smile gentles at the sight of her, never let it be said that Ezra Newton didn't think his mother hung the moon, "Thanks Ma." He replies bashfully, leaning down to give her a tight squeeze before she bats him away.

"Oh, no way mister,  you know I love you more than the world but no hugging until you get clean smelly!" She reprimands teasingly earning laughs from both Ezra and the girl who came to stand next to her. Angela Weber was probably the closest Ezra would ever come to having a sister and she was everything he could ever hope one would be, she had been his first real friend outside of his cousin, Mike, who had also come to stand next to his Mom.

"Amen to that." Angela agreed with a smile.

"Man I would hug you but I'm afraid I'd never be able to get the smell out." Mike teased, then barely dodged the fist aimed for his shoulder.