The Broken Cat and Her Friend The Snake

1K?!?!?!? I'm like over the moon happy right now!! Thank you guys so much for reading.

I'm posting early again, for you guys.

<3

Chapter 14: The Broken Cat and Her Friend The Snake

Word count:1437

I found myself locked in my room, not wanting to hear Tomoe's voice, not wanting to see his face, not wanting to be reminded of his strong arms and soft hands.

So yes, I pouted in my room, only ever leaving to train.

The shrine spirits let me in on how Nanami went after me and ran into Tomoe while being chased, and he unwillingly became her familiar as well.

It served him right.

As much as I miss Tomoe, I hate him for leaving me here alone, and I will not fall victim to his charms. He's been sleeping outside my door at night, probably realizing the fucking mistake he made.

I on the other hand, haven't slept a single wink in the week that I've returned, too terrified the nightmares will bring my brother. Too afraid that he will come take me in the night, and that my nightmares will become reality. I've thinned out a lot, and the dark circles under my eyes completely defy the yokai beauty that I posses when healthy.

The night has become my enemy once again, and I find myself scurrying into the shrine before sunset falls.

Visions of those yellow eyes reflect the sun, and they haunt even my daydreams.

And speaking of haunting,

The new land god is a whole other beast of her own, and I'm starting to question Mikage's sanity when he chose her to replace him.

"Tomoe, come take a walk with me."

"Tomoe, protect me."

"Tomoe, come to school with me."

"Tomoe, will you braid my hair?"

She's insufferable, completely incapable of the most menial tasks.

What woman can't braid her own hair? I pout.

Worst of all, Tomoe caters to her every need, pampering her in a way that he never did me. I'm left alone most days, as Nanami went back to school to see an idol of some sorts, and of course Tomoe came to her rescue when her dignity was in danger.

I shouldn't be resentful of the girl, as I know deep down that she means no harm. However, I cant help the jealousy that creeps into my heart and sits there in place of the love I crave.

A banging on my door disrupts my thoughts.

I stand hesitantly, knowing that Nanami is at school and Tomoe most likely with her.

I slide the door open to see Tomoe, standing there with a frustrated frown. He opens his mouth but I slide the door shut once more, a dead look in my eyes.

I sigh.

"(Y/n), just open the door, I need to talk to you." He says through the door as I slide down it.

"I can hear you from in here." I say, my heart picking up pace at the hope of a decent conversation between us, as we haven't had one since I returned.

"That snake friend of yours claimed Nanami as his fiancé, and now she's gone. Tell me where he lives." Tomoe says. Anger and heartache builds in my blood as the selfish thoughts fill my mind.