The Familiar

Chapter 2: The Familiar

1 Month later

Word count: 1987

"Well, (y/n), it look as though you've healed up rather well." The blonde haired man in front of me radiates a warmth that feels like utter relief. I've come to know this man as Mikage, the land god of the shrine in which I have been staying for the past month. This is our first official meeting.

The week after my first encounter with Tomoe was a nothing if not a blur. The silver fox yokai became more snappy and arrogant with every passing hour, and answered none of the questions I asked him throughout my stay.

His face became uglier to me every day.

I'm still as confused as I was then, but I have to choose my words carefully, as an angry Tomoe stands in the corner of the room that has become mine for the past month, ensuring that I do not disrespect his master.

But I can't help it.. All my questions pour out at once.

"How? How am I well? And why do I have a tail, and ears atop my head? Why do I have nails the shape of daggers, and why is my hair not the same? Why do I feel like I can carry the world even when I am weak? Am I even human anymore?" I find inexplicable tears rolling down my cheeks. I've been kept in the dark for the past month, remembering less and less from my life before this shrine with each passing day.

Tomoe rolls his eyes in the corner as I bring the edges of my kimono to wipe the tears from mine.

"I can see, hear, and smell things that I shouldn't be able to, I can feel things that I cant explain. I don't- " My voice is cut off when Mikage's hand comes to rest on my head. He looks down at me concerned.

"(y/n)" He sighs, taking a seat in front of me. "To save your life, I had to make a very difficult decision. Without me doing what I did, you would have surely died a month ago." His eyes are downcast, and the light from my window catches the round glass of his spectacles.

"What am I?" I ask softly.

"To save your life, (y/n).. I had to turn you into a yokai."

My heart skips several beats, and it feels like time has slowed and my world has come to an end.

"A yokai." The words get stuck in my throat and they come out as barely a whisper.

I can't be a yokai...

A yokai destroyed my village..

A yokai almost killed ME...

My mind rejects the thought, the idea that I could be a yokai.

Mikage rambles on about why and how he did it, about my yokai form is just a projection of who I was as a human.

My mind feels clouded.

"You may now do as you please, whether that be to stay here, or to go out on your own." The words bring me out of my daze.

He says it with a saddened tone to his voice. The statement surprises me a little, for during my time here, I'd never once thought about what I would do when I was physically able to leave, and if ever I would be.

Maybe I assumed that I would stay here. That I would stay with Mikage and.. I look up at Tomoe, who stands in the doorway with his arms crossed.

Suddenly remembering the feeling of loosing my village.. my parents.. my brother.. the last thought requires effort, as if I can barely grasp the memory of him. But then I see his piercing yellow eyes and he becomes long from forgotten.