(Bonus) Prequel time!

[Thank you to everyone who voted for what you wanted the bonus chapter to be. The winner, by a landslide, was option three, backstory on Karma and Nagisa, with an even fifty votes (plus three after voting closed) so here she is!]

[Approximately 5 years ago]

"Hey Nagisa! Will you go out with me?"

"I'm really flattered, Yuu-kun," Nagisa sighed, turning away from his locker. He was not at all flattered. Yuu was about the sixtieth guy to ask Nagisa out that year, and the novelty had long since worn off. He just wanted to get his bento from his locker and meet up with Karma for lunch, but it seemed like half the school was set on inconveniencing him. "But I'm afraid I must decline."

"Aww... don't be like that Nagi-chan," Yuu cooed, leaning down to twirl a finger through one of Nagisa's pigtails. "It's just one date."

"Actually, it's zero dates." Nagisa batted his hand away with a frown. These damn underclassmen just wouldn't leave him alone. "Because I said no. Plus, you may not have noticed this, but I'm a guy."

"You think I'm gonna fall for a lie as obvious as that one?" Yuu chuckled deeply, his eyes darkening, his wavelength becoming dangerously erratic. "Come on Nagi-chan~"

"Don't call me that," Nagisa flashed a murderous look, and Yuu stood straight up in shock. He took a step back, right into the waiting hand of another third year student. The hand gripped Yuu's shoulder, steadying him, but also holding him in place.

"He said no," purred a voice from behind him. There was no outright threat in the words or the tone, but it still sent a shiver down Yuu's spine. "So take his answer, and beat it."

Yuu gritted his teeth. His sudden, short-lived fear of Nagisa was inexplicable, so it was easier to push down. His fear of Karma, on the other hand, was very well-founded. The red-head was the top of every class, and had a nasty reputation of getting into fights.... and never, ever losing them.

Yuu had only been dared to ask this Nagisa chick out, not actually go on a date with her. So technically, he'd won. But his damn pride spurred him into making a stupid move. "What are you‽ Her boyfriend or something‽" he snarled, using up whatever meager courage his pride had scrounged up for him, and immediately regretting it.

"I'm his best friend," Karma responded. Inwardly, he desperately wished that he could've just said 'yes, gtfo,' but he didn't know how well that would go over with Nagisa. "Which means if you keep trying to make a move on him, even though he clearly doesn't like it, I'm gonna have to make sure you regret it."

Yuu's courage reserves were as dry as his grandmother's sense of humor. He barely managed a grimace and a half-hearted "tch, whatever," before hightailing it away from the pair as fast as he could without seeming pathetic.

"Thanks Karma," Nagisa smiled gratefully, "but you didn't have to step in, I could've handled it. It's not like he's the first clueless second-year to ask me out this year."

"Don't worry about it, I don't mind saving you Blueberry." Nagisa just rolled his eyes at the nickname. He loved it, but he'd sooner stab himself in the leg than admit it. "Anyway, he was taking up your time, and I got tired of waiting for you in the cafeteria. Let's go have lunch."

"Alrighty then!" Nagisa stepped past his friend and led the way to the place he and Karma usually ate lunch. It was a stairwell behind the school where trucks dropped off the supplies and such for the cafeteria every morning. But by the time lunch break rolled around, it was always mostly abandoned. Just a few people milling around, passing by on occasion.