(3.4) Roadtrip time!

"Is  everyone here?" Nagisa called to his students, counting heads before they boarded the train toward Kunugigaoka. "Where's Asui-san‽"

"I'm here!" shouted Asui's high voice over the din of the station, as she attempted to push through the crowd. Fuyu wove his way around strangers to grab her hand and pull her to the rest of the group before she was carried away.

"And Kiya?" Nagisa asked.

"Here." They saw her neon pink hair before they saw her as she joined the group.

"Glad you made it," Nagisa smiled, "alright everybody, come get your tickets from me and find your seat!" They crowded around their teacher, trading tickets to get seats next to their friends.

When, finally, they all crowded onto the train and it began moving, they settled into road trip mode. The ride was smooth, so Mirikitani began to draw in his sketchbook, refusing to show anyone, of course. Marihara had her own book to read, but Sujimura kept interrupting her reading with annoying questions and gossip.

"So what do you think this place is gonna be like?" wondered Kurra excitedly.

"I'm guessing probably a mountain," Yatoni responded, not really seeming to care.

"Well I know that." Kurra rolled his eyes. "But why are we taking our class trip there?"

"Maybe we're doing a nature hike," Ushiwara suggested. "There's two and a half pages in the trip guide about all the different plants and insects there."

"I'm thinking it's more like a training camp," Hinata argued. "If you look at the map there's a lot of info about the terrain and there's also a 'swimming hole' and a 'training ground.' Plus Nagisa-sensei always goes on about making us assassins, we need training for that."

"Maybe this place is where Nagisa-sensei trained," Kiya suggested quietly. "Although the thing I'm most curious about is the 'Koro-sensei memorial.'"

"Yeah, me too!" Misono agreed, practically climbing over the seat to talk to her. "Who the heck is Koro-Sensei? And how did he die? And why would he have a memorial on this mountain so far away from everything?"

"Koro-Sensei was Nagisa-sensei's old teacher," Kirasaya said. "He's the one who inspired Nagisa-sensei to teach in the first place."

"How the heck do you know that?" Misono asked.

"I learned it when I did my biography project," she explained. "It was in my presentation, don't you remember?"

"No, I can't say that I do." They all turned to Kiya, who flicked her tongue over the mischievous half-smile she wore.

"Well maybe if you came to school, you would!" Ippantekina scoffed and turned to Kirasaya with a questioning look. "I remember you mentioning him, but you never said anything about him being dead."

"Yeah... Nagisa-sensei told me to leave that part out."

"Why?" Ippantekina pressed.

"That's classified," Fumei interjected, almost like a warning, and Kirasaya hummed nervously.

"Uh... yeah," she affirmed.

"Classified by whom?"

"It doesn't matter Harushit!" Fumei snapped at Ippantekina with a nickname no one else dared to use. They could all see anger boiling up in the boy's face, and most of them backed away a bit, anticipating an outburst. "Point is you're not supposed to know, and those who do know aren't allowed to fucking tell you. So stop prying assrag."

"What the fuck Fumei!" Ippantekina snarled back. "What makes you think you can talk to me like that, huh half-pint? I'll tear you apart."

"You can try dickwad, but you'd have to catch me first." She lifted her head slightly and her sunglasses flashed in the light from the window.

"I'm down for a little fairy hunting." Ippantekina smirked.

"Don't you fucking dare call me 'fairy'." Fumei's voice was low and menacing. The air stood still and the temperature dropped ten degrees, or so it seemed.

Even the people not involved in the conversation sensed something was wrong and silenced themselves. Nagisa-sensei eyed Fumei thoughtfully. Ippantekina was taken aback as well, and he stiffened sharply as if the slightest movement would cause the tiny girl to pounce.

"Tch. Whatever," Ippantekina said, and sat back down on the cracking leather seat, hoping that his nerves hadn't shown through his outward indifference.

"Uh... Fumei?" Shirota asked nervously.

"I'm fine," she said with a sigh.

"Oh." Shirota was not entirely convinced. "Ok then."

No one had called Fumei 'fairy' since middle school. Ippantekina only know the nickname because he'd gone to the same middle school as her. Shirota hadn't been there, but he had heard that she was suspended for two weeks for scratching a guy who called her fairy, everyone stopped after that. Apparently the guy got some pretty nasty scars from it.

Shirota shot Fumei one more worried look before attempting to reignite conversation, and further de-escalate the situation. "I think it's probably private property, the mountain."

"What makes you say that?" Saishuu asked.

"Well, camping In a public place, or at an official camp site can be expensive, right," Shirota explained. "Plus there's a warning on the very first page of the guide that says not to damage anything."

"It doesn't have to be private property for Nagisa-sensei not to want anything damaged," Ushiwara pointed out. "Nature reserves aren't private property, but damaging them could be a huge problem. He could be concerned about the mountain's ecosystem."

"I don't know Ushiwara-kun," Shirota disputed. "It felt more like there was an implied 'or else' to me. Anyone else think that?"

"Honestly, kinda," Kirasaya admitted.

A voice came over the train's PA system announcing the next stop, and Nagisa-sensei informed them that they would be disembarking there. With that announcement, the whole car hummed with anticipation.