22 - don't leave me

As a child Jace had studied all kinds of different ships for hours, memorizing the name of each part, watching the pilots under his father's command mod and fix their fighters. He wanted to know how they worked, what made them tick. The philosopher in him could hardly wrap his mind around their existence—how incredible it was that they worked at all, that they soared the sky despite not being birds!

How incredible Anri was that she existed at all.

Jace grinned into the washcloth he was rubbing the shaving cream from his face away with, her ecstatic laughter echoing in his ears. I'm so puffy, for fuck's sake! As if she could be anything but stunning.

She'd become so warm, like a light, despite the chill bumps on her arms from temperatures she was still getting used to.

He was smitten. He had to admit it. He had a big crush on a cute girl and life almost felt simple.

It wasn't, of course, but you'd think.

Jace ran his hand through his hair, stepping out into the hall. He was on his way to get her now.

He hoped she wouldn't notice the bags under his eyes. She'd never seen him cleanshaven befo

No sound, only a ringing noise.

Jace braced himself against some wall. He was coughing and sputtering. There was too much dust and smoke in the air, for one thing, and for another, the wind had just been knocked out of his lungs.

Having pulled himself to his feet, Jace was stumbling. Almost as an afterthought he felt the back of his head for injury. When he brought his hand back into view his fingertips were soaked glossy red.

No time to worry about that now. He had find Anri. The base was under attack.

He had to find Anri, get her to her ship—thanking the stars that he'd finished it in time—then get to his own ship, kick some imperial ass. Wait, Anri still didn't know how to pilot. He was planning to teach her today...

They'd followed them. Of course those bastards could, even after two stints in hyperspace....

Who would pilot? Couldn't be him. He had to fight...

The floor rumbled again, a distant bomb exploding. Jace prayed it wasn't the hangar.

He had his wind back and was now running as fast as he could towards Anri's ward, weaving himself through the other rebels evacuating in exactly the opposite direction. He'd figure it out. He always did. He was the youngest captain on the force, and he'd earned that rank.

Jace found her room—but the door was open. Anri was gone. For a crazy moment, unexplainable panic seized him. What if—

"Captain!"

Her voice rang loud and clear from behind him. Jace whirled around and found Anri fighting her way towards him, elbowing her way past wounded soldiers and medics. Relief slacked his jaw.

Anri grabbed his arm and pulled him into her room. The floor shook again, and Jace quickly reached to steady her, despite her not seeming to need it. Her balance was a marvel.

"Iye, Captain," she said, turning and grabbing his shoulders (steadying him). "You shouldn't've come for me."

Jace grabbed her shoulders, and shook. "What the hell are you saying?"

Anri leaned closer, her hands falling to his elbows and squeezing, hanging on him like a beggar. "I have to go find the bounty hunter." On seeing Jace's eyes widen she hastily started—"I can't leave him, you understand, but you can—"