Prolouge

Prologue

(Saito monologue)

The attack on Nagoya was doomed from the start. The humans, the vampires... every single one of them would perish during it, or of the aftermath. Fast-forward one month in the future and the earth would be silent, the world would truly be at an end.

Technically, the world had already ended. 8 years ago. But would you really call it the end of the world if 10% of the human population still lived? Civilization may be the world for them, but... Saito was not that helplessly self-centered. He'd stopped caring about his 'self' years and years ago. He didn't really have a 'self' to care about anyway... he'd stopped being a human millenia ago, was no longer even a vampire. Under his synthetic skin was no brain or organs, only poisonous black mist and chains. There was nowhere for a 'self' to be. He couldn't have a soul...

Why, then, did he still have consciousness? He always felt like he was missing something important. Everything was pointless to him and there was nothing to do but have a little fun by killing them all, the things that held meaning for themselves, souls. He was no longer of this earth, he was so far gone from a true corporeal form. Even he didn't know the extent of his abilities, and his only purpose was to destroy people's lives. So what was he to do with himself after this had all been pulled off? He didn't know. He didn't know if he could even die himself.

It had been a long, long wait for this to finally happen. He had been planning this extermination of life for so long, it was his life. He had become the earth's shinigami. And it had taken some work, too. He had dozens of fake names and identities, layers and layers of personalities and personas that were all supposedly himself so he would never be tracked throughout the ages. Rigr Stafford, Saito, Makoto Kijima... none of it was real. It was too complicated for any human or possibly even any vampire to track all down, no matter their intellectual ability. His true identity was so far down, most of the time he couldn't even remember it. Because he was not even the same person anymore as he was those eons ago. Now he was... he didn't even have the words to describe it in any language. He was something so unnatural he couldn't even figure himself out.

His plan had gone back thousands of years as well, helping the earth on its way down the road to extinction, he'd caused everything. By riling people up to fight in bloody, endless, pointless wars like the crusades, got countries to get all mad at eachother so they'd all go to war by framing that guy for killing that archduke that caused World War One, helping people figure out how to make atomic and nuclear bombs, spreading the seed of dissent among the Ichinoses and the Hiragis, caused the deaths that ended the world the first time... and now this. Humans were so stupid they'd practically done it themselves. And of course, there are no vampires without humans to feed on. One could say it was almost too easy.

He was just taking the opportunity to speed it up, doing whatever it took to rid the world of those vile life forms he once was one of as soon as possible.

But why was he doing it, he asked himself? What was the point, what was his motivation for putting in this much effort to create endless heartbreak and terror until everyone was gone?

Even he himself didn't know