Chapter 26

Chapter 26

"Excuse me?" I gasped out, completely dumbfounded.

"You're not my biological daughter, Emma," Alex repeated, but the new information still did not choose to process.

Not knowing what to do at the moment, I chose to let my mouth do the talking. "Unbelievable. Un-fucking-believable. You've known this long and you've never told me?"

Alex's head hung low as he slowly nodded his head.

"Do you at least know who he is?" I asked, hating how my tone softened slightly.

"No. I don't even know if he knows you exist. After I found out, your mother tried explaining but... I wouldn't listen. All I remember from all the yelling is her saying that he's non-existent," he explained.

Unable to stay in one spot, I stood up from my bed and began pacing. "You sure he doesn't know about me?" I asked between breaths, and Alex nodded his head in confidence.

"He couldn't have. I'm sure of it."

I nodded slowly, rubbing my right hand down my face. "I... I need... I need to go."

"Where?" Alex asked behind me as I went to grab my notebook and phone.

"Jason's. I need to get out for a little."

Alex stayed silent for a short period, so I used the spare time I had to look over my shoulder, only to see him looking slightly pained.

"Okay. Just... I'm sorry sweetie. I really am."

A little late, dad.

What should I even call him?

I whispered a quiet goodbye as I moved around his stiff body. Once I've made my escape out of the house, I dashed across the front lawn, and knocked on Jason's door three times.

After a minute, Danielle opened the door in her light pink bathrobe. "Emma? What are you doing here hon?" She asked, rubbing her eyes while yawning.

"Can I stay over for the night?"

Danielle gives me a look over before nodding. "Of course. Is everything okay?"

I nodded, walking inside her air conditioned house.

Just as I was about to march up the stairs, a whisper in the back of my head told me to stay put.

"Did you know?" I asked, still facing the staircase.

Without even needing to look in her direction, I felt her stiffen. "Know what?"

I laughed harshly as I turned around to face her. "About him. About how I'm not his real daughter."

Danielle's eyes widened dramatically from what I said. I didn't even notice tears running down my cheeks until one landed on my clenched fist.

"Yes," she whispered, looking down at her feet.

"Amazing," I scoffed sarcastically.

"Emma, please you have to understand—"

Danielle stops her sentence as footsteps walking down the stairs echoed off of the walls.

"Emma? Are you okay?" Lucas's authoritarian voice caught my ear, and I turned around to face his worried expression.

Once Lucas caught a glimpse of my tears, his confusion transformed to anger. "Come on, Emma," he consoled as he grabbed my hand gently, guiding me upstairs.

As we were nearing Jason's closed bedroom door, Lucas pushed me against the wall across Jason's room, and leaned against it. "Is everything okay?" Lucas asked as I caught a whiff of his scented peppermint soap.