Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I'm... So confused.

What don't I know? I don't know a lot of stuff, but whatever they're talking about makes it seem like I shouldn't know what they're talking about. You know?

I groan, stopping my inner conflict. Rushing to the bathroom, I brush my hair, and put it in a high ponytail. Next, brush my teeth.

Once that's all done, I head back into my room and decide to put on black leggings, and a white shirt that says, offline.

After I've sprayed my vanilla scent perfume, and put on my deodorant, I begin to head down stairs.

I stop mid step on the stairs when I spot my dads shoes still in front of the house. I slowly walk down the rest of the stairs, and spot my dads head in the kitchen. He's here?

Once I've entered the kitchen, my dad and I make eye contact, and I raise my eyebrows. "You're still here?" I quickly check my imaginary watch. " That's odd, you're usually off at this time."

His lips tug upwards slightly and I grin in accomplishment. I haven't made him smile in quite some time.

"Well, I was thinking last night, and I don't remember us really speaking since you've gotten back, and well I'd like to change that. Starting today."

I give him a sad smile and nod my head. I've had some suspicions why he's been keeping his distance from me. Both Jessica and me got our looks from our mom. We all looked alike, with our light brown hair, natural highlights, and blue eyes.

Seeing me probably reminded him of his ex-wife, formally known as his best friend. Not to mention his other daughter.

I spot a glass of orange juice on the island, and smile. Rushing towards the cup, I lift it and finish the juice in a matter of seconds.

I head towards the sink and rinse the cup. Once that's finished, I put it in the first rack in the dishwasher.

Turning around, I start my daily routine. I grab a water bottle, and a fruit from the bowl on the counter. As I'm placing the items in my school bag, my dad starts talking again. "Do you, uh, want a ride?"

I'm about to shake my head, until I notice the time on the stove. 8.34am. Shit.

I turn to look at my dad, and tightly smile. "Could you? I really don't wanna be late."

He smiles brightly, and claps. "Great! Let's head out then?"

I finish zipping my bag, and nod. "Let's go."

Once our shoes are on, we leave the house. I lock the door, and when I turn around to face my dad, he's staring at our neighbors house. More specifically, Jason's house.

I turn to see what he's looking at. I immediately spot Jason putting his school bag in the backseat of his car.

Furrowing my eyebrows, I turn back to my dad, only to notice his jaw is clenched, and his eyes narrowed on Jason. Okay... Since when is dad not a fan of Jason?

"Dad?" I call out. He turns to me and give me a tight smile. I hear him quietly say lets go as he turns to walk to the car.

As I'm about to sit down in the seat, I hear a familiar voice. "Hi Mr. Sullivan! Hey Emma," Jason shouts.

My dad, who's already seated in the car clenches his teeth but smiles and waves nonetheless. I awkwardly wave back, and sit down.

Once the doors are shut, and the car is on drive, my dad turns his head slightly towards me with a worried look on his face. "That Jason boy is bad news."