Siren - Chapter 10

Chapter 10

The sun shone over the hills north of Valeur. Sunlight streamed in through the castle window and illuminated the sleeping pair in what used to be Nereus' bed. As Clara's eyes fluttered open, she found herself entwined in the embrace of one sleeping Mallach. Not at all wanting to push him away, she stayed put, silent and waiting for someone to come and fetch them.

Some time passed, and still, no one came. Did they go on without them? To search for the eggs? No, she thought. They couldn't have. Not without Mallach. Turning, she pushed her hand against Mallach's shoulder to rouse him.

Yawning, he awoke slowly.

"I know not of where our party is." she replied.

"Perhaps they are still sleeping, as we should be. Look out the window, Clara. What time do you say it is?"

Glancing outside, the sun was peeking over the hills in the distance like a ripe orange. Well, half an orange, anyway.

"I'd say at least ten in the morning."

Rolling over to face her, Mallach played absentmindedly with her hair as he spoke to her.

"The winter months make the nights longer, and the days shorter, Clara. I suppose spending most of your time on that farm made life seem constant."

"I suppose. My father was the traveler. He had been all over the world. All he brought back were his stories, and a few treasures for Edward and me."

"And what about your mother, Clara? What happened to her?"

Clara sighed, making a face.

"That I do not know, my lord." Frowning, he stroked his chin.

"Did you know her?" he asked curiously.

"Yes, my lord. Though it was long ago, I still remember her voice the clearest. It was so much more beautiful than mine."

Mallach chuckled softly. "I cannot be so sure there is any voice more beautiful than yours." He replied, running his hands over her lips. She blushed.

"Surely you jest." He shook his head. For a moment, all was quiet. Mallach was the first to break the silence.

"Might I... ask you a personal question, Clara?' She looked into his eyes.

"Yes, Mallach."

"How is it that you never spoke before our... incident?" Clara smiled.

It had all begun before they were born. It was on a sandy beach in the small seaside town of Calisto that a Siren birthed a child.

The tide was low and the gulls flew overhead as the Siren gazed down at her child. The man she loved was nowhere to be seen, but she knew he had other things to attend to. His life. His normal life.

But even as she thought, Orion was sailing home on a spice ship. Watching the water for the first sign of land, he ground his teeth tensely. He had a child on the way, couldn't this thing go any faster?

No, he knew. He had been sailing for years, and it was the wind that determined how fast they would reach Callisto that day.

At noon sharp, they reached the port. Racing past the other sailors, not even bothering to count his stock, he ran along the cobblestones of the tiny town. He was itching to see if his lover and child were alright.

Making his way down the streets, keeping the sea in sight, always, ever following...

He finally reached his destination. The waves crashed against the sand, as if applauding his late entrance. Frantically, his eyes scanned the cove where Cora and he had first met. He raced down to the beach like a madman. Finally, half submerged in the tides, he saw her, along with two mer people.