Siren - Chapter 23

“Listen up,” boomed Pontus, his large boots tramping along the wooden deck of the large galleon Clara and her party had come to know as Satan’s Killer, “and listen well! This,” he paused to point at Clara, her black dress fluttering in the wind, “is Orion Reilly’s daughter.” The ragtag band of pirates stood at somewhat attention, all eyes on her, some leering, others recognizing the respect she deserved. “For the purposes of this mission, she is one of us. Do not think of her as a woman. Do not look at her as a woman. Do not speak to her as a woman. In other words,” he said, his hand on the hilt of his sword for effect, “respect her.”

The crew nodded in agreement, there were some grumbles from the older brutes, and they started to disperse when Pontus withdrew his sword and smashed it on the deck. “Did I say I was finished?” he bellowed. Clara covered her ears. For such a normally built man, he had such a loud voice. The crew turned back, mostly the younger ones standing at attention.

“If any of you should even think of touching her,” he said, looking particularly at a tall younger man with braided blond hair and blue eyes, “I shall cut off your right hand, lest it be yer head.” Clara stood a bit closer to Mallach, his hand finding the small of her back and staying there. “Dismissed!” he cried, wedging his sword up from the deck and into its sheath.

Clara let out a sigh.

“Was that really necessary?” she asked, rubbing her ear. Pontus laid a hand on her cheek gently, and knelt down so that he could better look into her eyes.

“You are Reilly’s daughter, and he kept you well sheltered. There are things that run rampant among men’s minds that would send you spiraling into oblivion.” He stood up then.

“What about Hazari?” she asked, the muscular woman standing by Jupiter, her back to them. Her pointed ears twitched in the direction of their conversation.

Pontus laughed.

“That woman is far more capable of taking care of herself. Six pits o’ hell, she even scares me.” Clara sighed as the captain went on about their accommodations. They would be staying below deck, in the guest suites. They were next to his quarters, so that they could be close in case anything was to happen.

As he led them down the stairs to below deck, Clara could not help thinking she had not seen Raven in quite a long while. She decided against asking, as any interruptions in Pontus’ speech may very well get her bellowed at, too.

“As there are six of you, and two are women, you will be able to divide the guests’ quarters among you. There are four of them, if either Majesty wishes to stay alone.”

Clara held her breath. Staying with Hazari? She tried not to let the dread show on her face. The large hallway seemed to defy her dread, though, being lit up with globes that contained glowing fish instead of sconces. Pontus laughed when Clara had asked why not sconces.

“We’d set the entire galleon on fire. And then, it would most appropriate for us to relate her to Satan. The six fires of hell. Fiat.”

That had been an hour ago, and she and Hazari were alone in the guest suite.