Siren - Chapter 28

Just after an hour, Pontus summoned Clara, Mallach and Jupiter to his tent. He was sitting on his chair made of straw, one leg crossed over the other. Reginald was at his side. Pontus swirled brandy in a glass, taking a sip and clearing his throat.
“I’ve spoken to Reginald about why we’re here. He’s been my first mate since the days of your father, Clara. He’s one of my most loyal men.”
Clara felt her hopes sink as Reginald grinned at her, missing four teeth. It was over, then, and she knew it. Not Jupiter nor Mallach’s royalty, or her being who she was, was enough to persuade Pontus to help them. Gods help them if he chose to leave them behind at the Edge.
She considered begging Gannon to stay with them, when Pontus stood up, smoothing the front of his coat slowly.
“He has suggested we leave you here to figure things out on your own.”
‘Doomed.’ She thought, her mind racing at once to think of how to keep her party alive. How to get the egg back from Morgana.
“But,” he said, and Clara grasped at Mallach’s arm, “it seems that my ideals of keeping royalty at arm’s length are far too overwhelming when I have the future kings of Sumoia and Valeur at, well, arm’s length.”

Mallach and Jupiter exchanged glances at each other.

“Wha? I thought we was gonna leave ‘em ‘ere! This is a suicide mission, cap’n! It’s crazy!”

“Someday, Reginald, you have to grow up. I think this is my day. Come on now, lads, you, myself and the old man have much to discuss.”

Reginald only stared as Pontus, Jupiter and Mallach exited the tent.

“This is all yer fault.” Reginald stormed away, cursing under his breath. Clara could not help the smirk that was playing about her face. It wasn’t her fault. Pontus hadn’t taken her father into account when making his decision. She couldn’t help if Reginald thought otherwise. He was angry, looking for someone to blame. It seemed all the men were displeased with her lately, so let him be too.

She waited for a few minutes to ensure Reginald was busying himself with something else, and slipped out of the tent, where Pontus was explaining the situation to her party.
“Another one?” cried Mallach, astonished. “Surely you’re joking, man!” Jupiter seemed confused.
“Dragons? I thought there weren’t any left.”
“You were wrong. So was I, apparently!” He noticed Clara then, and his eyes narrowed. “So this is your doing. I shouldn’t be surprised. So there are more than two left?”
“There are four to our knowledge, and the eggs. Six dragons.” Clara nodded. Pontus rubbed his chin.
“Tell me, what are we up against here?” She sighed.
“An ice dragon. The red one – Klardir – is her brother. I asked for his help, but he said it’s against their agreement. However large Morgana – the ice dragon - might be, we have no idea. And Sterling…” “Who is Sterling?” Inquired Pontus. She fiddled with her hair. “Clara.” He demanded.
“He is a giant. And I’ve just found out he controls fire.”
“Devil himself! Gods, too! Clara, you do understand people have a very good chance of dying?”
She felt her stomach go queasy. She hadn't really wanted to think about it. Being honest with herself was something she delighted in abhorring recently, but it was all catching up with her.
“I ... I understand.”
“Then be the one to ask my men to die for you, because I give them no choice.” He walked away then, the glass he held catching in the moonlight and glinting brightly.
“And when were you planning on telling the rest of us?” asked Mallach, his arms crossed.
“Now, I suppose. When would there be a good time to tell the people I’ve come to care most about that they have to face a giant who wields fire?”
“Suppose we’d better come up with a plan, what?” offered Octavious, noticing that Clara was becoming more and more upset with every minute that passed.
“Sounds like a good idea.” Said Raven. “How will we avoid being burned to death?”
“Don’t know,” replied Octavious, his fingers finding his moustache and smoothing it, “but we’ll come up with something, what.”
“I ees ready for anything.” Said Hazari coolly, examining her sword. “I ‘as born a warrior, I ‘ill die a warrior, too.”
Clara could tell that Hazari meant every word. She was hiding it well, but Clara knew Hazari was eager to fight.

Clara stood nervously before all of Pontus’ men, her green eyes downcast.
“Pontus has asked me... To ask you if... If...”
“Out with it!” Cried one of them.
“Why are we ‘ere?” Snapped another.
“Because of me! She yelled, angry and tired of being fearful. “It is all my fault. I was the l one that spoke to prince Mallach, I was the one that sent us spiraling into oblivion, I am the center of all that is this mess!” She was breathing hard by the time she was finished.
“What the fiat is that supposed to mean?” Asked a familiar voice quietly.
Gannon stepped towards her then, looking angry.
“You mean it is your fault your brother banished you from your home, that was left to you by your father? It was your fault that rogue Mallach held a knife to your throat and nearly took your life?” A hush had fallen over the crowd, every man watching and listening with such intensity that Clara was stunned.
“You have no home, no certain future.” He turned to the pirates. “Where will she go? What will she do? What will she have to do? All she asks of you is to help her guarantee that she won't be banished or beheaded by that filthy son of a pig the king.”
“How do we do that?” Asked one of the younger men, eyeing Clara.
“Help kill a dragon and a giant.” All of them started laughing. “Seriously, mates, this isn't a joke. Do you see us laughing?”
“You should be!” One of them roared. “Gannon the jokester.” They started to disperse.
“I ask of you your lives!” Clara yelled, her chest heaving. That was when they all stopped, some turning towards her, others looking at each other.
“Ats a serious thing te ask m'lady.”
“It isn't a joke. If I don't get the egg back ... I will not receive a scale from Lady Moyra and the king will have me killed, Prince Mallach left to go insane.”
“What do you say, then, lads?” asked Gannon.
Clara stood with both breaths held for eternity. She felt her pulse quicken, her heart beating out of her chest. The men consorted among themselves for quite some time - long enough for Clara to begin breathing desperately - until the lot of them turned to face Clara and Gannon.
“We took a vote.”
“And?” Replied Gannon.
“Yea.”
“Yes? Gannon blinked. Yes what?” The older man sighed. “Yea, we'll help. We was bored anyway.”
It took half a day to take down the camp they’d set up within the trees. Pontus was sober for the first time since they’d met him at the docks.
“I don’t know what lies on the other side of the island. We don’t go there.”
“Halthara, the dragonpriest, said the place is full of illusions.”
Pontus didn’t know exactly, but he told her he’d heard tales of a few fortunate souls who’d escaped the wretched place, coming back to the port at Vaarin and spewing their tales.
“Everyone thought they were drunk, that they were just fables. We knew better.”
“Just how many people have been here?” Clara asked.
“Not many. There are hundreds of stories passed down through the ages to keep explorers away from here. Most Sumoians turn white when you mention the Edge. I’m surprised royalty had enough guts to seek it in the first place.”
“Some of us had no choice.” Replied Jupiter coldly. Nothing bad had happened so far, but after what they’d learned about Sterling and Morgana, it was inevitable.
They were walking along the beach, everyone carrying something. Clara and Raven were leading the horses, who had tents on their backs.
“We’re nearing the end of it all, Raven, I can feel it.” Said Clara quietly. The lofty piece of information that had taken away all the worry and uncertainty was not enough to take away the guilt she felt in having to ask the entire crew of the Killer to lay down their lives for her.
“We should just take the one egg back. Let Moyra deal with her own affairs. Better to have two dragons fight each other than us.”
“We promised her, Raven. She was a friend of my mother. I feel… like I can’t let her down.”
Raven rolled his eyes.
“I don’t understand why you hold on to the past. Why would pacts or friendships thousands of years old hold any bearing on your life?”
“They just do.”
“Only because you let them. You care far too much.”
She supposed Raven was right, but she couldn’t help it. It was who she was, who she’d always been. They were silent for the rest of the trip. After another hour, they reached the great divide between dark and light.
It was a curious sight, Clara thought, far more curious than anything they had yet seen in their travels since she left Calisto.
It had to be magic, she thought, only magic would allow the light and dark to be so separate, when they were always so intertwined, like lovers. Where there was light, there was shadow. But the two stayed away from each other, a strict and straight line dividing them.
“This is it,” yelled Pontus to everyone, “once we enter this place there is no turning back. We’re on a mission, and not by my hand. If you don’t want to risk death then turn back now.”
A few of the younger men looked at Clara, and she knew what they were thinking. They were wondering if saving a beautiful young woman from death was worth more than their own lives.
She wasn’t surprised when they walked away from the rest of the group, passing silently by Clara and Raven, and the horses.
“I don’t blame them.” Said Clara, giving a look of eternal thanks to the men that remained.
They all passed into the realm of light.