Siren - Epilogue

Elbizar had to be escorted away that day by five guards. After many bottles of wine and two full days of rest, he decided to take it upon himself to accept the fact that Clara was, indeed, royalty. He had no choice -- as everyone in the castle, demimal and Sumoian, voted to revolt and overthrow him if he did not see it as so.

The wedding came shortly after, and everyone from far and wide came to see it. Pontus and his merry band of pirates, Aaeden and the fauns that had stared at her bare feet, the ostriches and the bears, Lady Moonstone and Raven.

Clara was getting her wedding dress on with the aid of two doe demimals, their hands working furiously to lace up the ornate corset. A soft knock at the door, and Cora entered.

“My darling, you look absolutely ravishing.”

“Thank you, mother.” She smiled, but noticed Clara still looked… saddened.

“My child, what is it?”

She smiled.

“I just wish… I just wish papa could be here.” She kept smiling as she cried, tears falling onto her dress. The does cooed at her, wiping away her tears with a silk kerchief.

“Oh darling, he is here. He’s watching you.” She went to her daughter and hugged her tightly, singing gently.

She sniffled.

“I’ve also asked Pontus to walk me down the aisle.”
“I’m sure your father would have wanted no one else in his place.” She smiled, taking the veil from a stand on a table and slipping it over her daughter’s head.

Mallach nervously stood at the alter. He was fidgeting with his belt.

“Would you stop that?” hissed Octavious, swatting his hand away. “You’ll make everyone think you only have one thing on your mind.”

“We’re over that stage.” Replied Mallach dryly. “I can contain myself now.”

“I’m sure.” Said Jupiter, mockingly. Raven chuckled.

“Quiet, all of you.” They all heard at once from Lady Moonstone. Music began filtering in as the women’s procession came in through the doors of the church. Two young flower girls flittered rose petals all over, some landing on people sitting in the pews. The sunlight filtered in through the stained glass windows, sending colors splashing over the cramped room.

Pontus had agreed to give Clara away with her mother. Mallach strained his neck as two ostriches dressed in red velvet hid her with their feathers. Pulling them away revealed Clara in her dress, a dazzling white with a corseted front. Two doe demimals held her train, a veil failing to hide the beauty of Clara’s face. Mallach could tell she was wearing very little in the way of makeup.

The King was crying.

“Oh, Elbizar, grow up.”

“I ca… can’t help it. Oh, why did you die Veronica? Why were you not here for this?” Lady Moonstone wrapped an affectionate arm around him, and smiled at Clara, who smiled back.

Pontus tugged at Clara’s arm as he handed her to Mallach, then grabbed Mallach’s arm.

“Be good to her, or I’ll find you.” Mallach chuckled, grinning.

“I will.”

Cora grabbed his other arm.
“He means it, and so do I.” She winked at him.
Mallach inhaled deeply, lifting Clara’s veil. He blew his breath all over her, and she smiled.
The priest began as everyone sat down.
“We are gathered here on this day of January twenty fourth, in the year two thousand and twelve, to see these two joined in holy matrimony. If any person can show just and sufficient reason why these two persons may not be joined together in matrimony, let them now declare their reasons, or else from this time forward, keep their peace.”
Everyone’s gaze suddenly shifted to the king. His face went red.
“Damnit, I already gave them my consent! Stop looking at me.”
Clara could not help laughing.
“Darling,” Mallach whispered, “control yourself.”
She cleared her throat a few times.

“Shall we continue?” asked the priest, adjusting his glasses.
“Yes, please, go on.” Said Mallach.
“Do you, Mallach Allan Tresham the third, take Clara Reilly to be your wife?”
“I do.” He said, slipping the ring onto her finger.
“And do you, Clara Reilly, take Mallach Allan Tresham the Third to be your husband?”
“I do.” She replied, smiling at him as she slipped his ring onto his finger.
“Then by the power vested in me, I do declare you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride, lord Mallach.”
And kiss her he did, as everyone present became overwhelmed with emotions.
Everyone, however, but a lone hooded figure at the back of the church, standing in one of the darker corners. He watched, red eyes focused on the prince and his new bride, as they walked down the aisle towards the doors.
“Soon the skies will turn red with the tainted blood of your filth, and Pureblood will reign true once again.”
Clara had heard it, confused, but it was ignored as she was showered with rice and flower petals from the citizens of Sumoia in the bright sunlight out yonder.