Siren - Chapter 20

“I had a feeling you would get around to asking me.” Octavious said gravely. His glance shifted to Raven, who sat with knowing eyes as well. His mother had told him as little as possible, but it was not hard to see, if you knew what you were looking for.

Octavious cleared his throat loudly.

“As you both know, it is legend, nay, lore now, that the Treshams are not the true line of blood. Over four thousand years has passed, so it is uneasy for us to clarify fact from fiction. However,” he paused, taking a deep breath, “there are those that follow this lore for truth. They say it as if it was their own religion.”

“They call themselves the “Reign of Pureblood”. They plan to overturn the king and what remains of his bloodline, and take back what was rightfully theirs.” Said Raven quietly. Octavious could do all but nod.

“Had you known about my father’s own assassination attempt then?” asked Jupiter, using every fiber of restraint he had not to lash out. He waited, on edge, for a response.

“We had no idea.” Said Octavious honestly, looking into Jupiter’s eyes. “Our spies have not been heard from for many months. We have been... reluctant to send in new ones. You understand. If they had been found out and killed, it would not be so easy to infiltrate them.”

“They are growing in numbers, but they are extremely selective of whom they induct into their legion. It is not about how many they have, but how truly one believes their cause.” Raven continued.

Jupiter took a moment before speaking.

“Have you, Mallach, been informed of this? This plot to kill your father? What about yourself?”

Mallach sighed.

“Personally, and I mean this very intentionally, I have not seen enough evidence that would suffice to say that the world is out to get me… until I heard that your father had been killed. It brought everything into a clearer perspective.”

“The boy is very hardheaded,” offered Octavious, “the type of person that needs to see something in order to believe it’s real.”

“Like the Siren?” Jupiter said.

“She has a name.” stated Mallach.

“Clara, then.”

“I suppose that is the best example we have at the moment.” Replied Octavious uneasily.

Jupiter sighed.

“Something must be done about this.” He said seriously. “And soon.”

“We will have to wait until after the curse is broken.” Stated Mallach. It was true, and they all knew it. The king would never let Mallach marry Clara.

Clara awoke the next morning, alone. The covers had been thrown back in urgency, it seemed, and Mallach’s side of the bed was cold.