Siren - Chapter 29

Gannon looked extremely annoyed with Clara.

“You could have seduced them into helping. Now we’ve lost at least half of our men. And they said they wanted adventure when they boarded the Killer. Fiat on them all.”

“I won’t have their deaths on my head, Gannon.” She hissed, furious he would even suggest such a thing.

“You’re too young to understand.” He replied, throwing his dreadlocks behind his shoulders.

“How old are you?”

“One question per day.”

“Enough with the bloody rule! I deserve to know!”

“Old enough. You watch how loudly you speak, Reilly, I’ve worked hard to get where I am.”

She decided that she had had enough of him and his secrecy. Perhaps, after everything was said and done, she could ask it of Pontus to stay and look for her mother.

But her hopes were dashed as she realized the large mountain of ice would most certainly be home to Morgana. If she wouldn’t give up the egg peacefully, they would have to fight her in order to return it to Moyra. There would be no dilly dallying around, especially not for weeks at a time. They would have to leave immediately, and that was if any of them were still left alive.

“She’ll be up there, if anything.” Pontus said to Reginald, who only grunted in reply. Clara could tell he was furious with her. “We’ll have to go up, I suppose.”

As they headed through the sparser trees, the creatures watched them intensely. Clara didn’t dare speak to any of them, Gannon neither. She was extremely nervous as some of the animals came closer to them. She remembered what Halthara had said: The animals are all bent on misguiding anyone who wanders into their midst.

“Stay away from the animals.” Piped up Clara.

“Why?” asked Jupiter.

“Just trust me on this.” She replied, watching as a monkey beckoned her to follow him. When she ignored it, it screamed, cursing her.

It seemed they were not intent on hurting them, merely wanting to keep them away from the ice mountain. Perhaps Morgana would be ambushed, but she remembered Sterling’s presence. He would most likely return only to warn Morgana of their impending attack.

A few of the fruit fell from the trees in front of them, and instantly turned into rotting masses. Everyone was hungry, but the sight of the fruit helped them feign hunger.

“It’s too easy,” said Pontus warily, “far too easy. We’ve hunted treasures – and every time, it’s been like walking through the six pits o’ hell themselves to get them.”

“What does it mean?” asked Clara, knowing much of treasures, but little of what her father had to go through to get them. She didn’t much like thinking of him risking his life for trinkets.

“That danger most certainly lies ahead.” Said Octavious gravely, as they reached the mouth of a yawning cave. The sunlight streamed inwards, almost as if it were a friendly gesture, inviting travelers inside.

“Everyone be on your guard. Someone secure the horses.” Commanded Pontus.

They left the horses tethered to a few trees by a babbling brook and patches of green grass before heading inwards.

“It doesn't look like much.” said Mallach. It was an ordinary cave as one could be.

“Don't be fooled,” said Gannon, “I feel… magic.”