Chapter 15: A Toast to New Beginnings

"I'm half good and I'm half bad. My mama is a very good girl and my daddy is a very bad boy. And I guess that leaves me somewhere sort of...here."

― C. JoyBell C.

*A month after*

Nicholas Tan was dead beat from work.

He had been in New York City for almost two weeks now, and each day was filled with work commitments.

Doing a documentary on the rise of the famous Plaza Hotel, interviewing the mayor of New York City, photographing an up and coming politician that was running for senator, and lastly, shooting an ad campaign for Mark Zuckerberg that would benefit charities around the world.

In perspective, it was a good thing.

It helped him forget his broken heart.

Given the fact that he knew he never had a chance with Ara, but every person in love still hopes that some feelings might change in time.

But Ara's never did, and Nick was truly happy that she was finally happy, even at his own expense.

But work was just crazy, add to that Nick's mom who was constantly calling him up and asking when he would ever settle down and bring a girl home.

It might be triggered by the fact that his best friend, Jaden Teng, finally found a girl he loved despite being in the dirty world of show business. And his mom was on alert that her son would be next because, according to his mom, "you and Jaden did things together".

Oh well! Those were among the last things on Nick's mind.

He was just happy that his work commitments were finished.

He had two weeks more to just sleep for the whole day and do what he pleases.

Nicholas Austin Tan

He was the sole heir to the Tan Corporation, a business that covered mining, land development, and just recently, airlines.

He could have just sat pretty and reap his family's fortunes, but not Nick.

He lived for adventures and excitement, which was exactly why he chose journalism.

He loved travelling to different places, meeting new people, experiencing various cultures.

He lived and breathed danger.

He was named after Austin, Texas because according to his mom, the day he was born, there was a large explosion in an oil rig in Austin, which might explain his penchant for adrenaline and danger.

Nick was a wanderer by nature.

He didn't have a home.

His home was where his adventures led him.

He was a devilishly attractive man.

He could've been an actor like Jaden, given that they both starred in a McDonalds TVC, about two naughty young boys who got detention in school.

That same TVC that started Jaden's career as the nation's dream boy.

The TVC that had started a life long friendship.

But, Nick just wasn't born to be an actor.

He was born to explore and spread his wings as wide as they possibly can.

Jaden's looks were boy next door types. The type mother's would welcome for their daughters. The "dream boat types".

Nick's was more ruggedly handsome. The really manly type. The one evoking danger and mistrust from others.