Chapter 12: Beautiful Goodbye

"I do know this. It's the things we run from that hurt us the most."

-Brad Sturdevant

It was 11:30 in the evening.

The night was quiet and calm.

Tomorrow, Ara will be off to London, away from Jacob and the rest of her family members.

The Shin family had a send-off for Ara in their family home early in the night, only close family and friends were invited.

The Tengs were invited along with Ara's closest friends.

Ara had a chance to talk to her good friend, Cara, that night.

Cara: are you really doing this? Wala na bang atrasan? Maybe you can go another time!

Ara laughed.

Cara was not really happy with her decision, that's why she was planting doubts in her head to make her reconsider leaving.

Ara: gaga! Wala na! I'm off to start a new life!

Cara: I don't know if I should be happy or sad about it. I can't believe Jacob is not making a move. I'm really freaking disappointed in him!

Ara: be happy na lang! Good vibes all the way! Don't blame him. Love is not worth it when it isn't given freely.

Ara said, sadness and acceptance evident in her voice.

Cara: okay lang yan! Baka sumunod ako sayo dun in the coming months.

Cara blurted out accidentally, a hint of controlled emotion and resignation evident in her voice.

Ara began to look worried.

Ara: oh shit! Is it your mom again? Wait! Susunod ka dun? Paano si Jaden?

Cara: i'm just so tired of my mom! She's like a shadow! Ayaw akong tigilan! Until i'm within her reach, she'll never stop! Abroad is the place to be then! Just like in our college days, when she only bothers me twice a year! The good old days! And Jaden.............he's a good guy! He's better off without me. I'm better off without him. It's complicated.

Cara stated, sounding unsure of what she was saying.

Ara: Cara.......Jaden likes you a lot. Knowing him since childhood, I can even say he loves you a lot. He seems to be a dare devil but he never fools around telling people he loves them when in fact, he doesn't.

Cara looked really scared for a second.

Jaden always told her he loved her, and she might be feeling the same way about him, but she just wasn't ready to fall. She had been alone far too long. Caring for someone, or simply putting her happiness in someone else's hands, she had to stop it before it was too late. She wanted to avoid hurting them both in the end.

She had been too damaged, had too much issues that even she herself couldn't understand.

Cara: bahala na si batman! I mean, how bad do you think it could go? Jaden's a movie star. He has a lot of women at his beck and call. I bet he'd forget me in a week. Or a few days perhaps. Maybe we can laugh about this a few years or so. Who knows?

Cara said, throwing caution to the wind.

Ara looked unsure.

Ara: he has a lot of women at his beck and call but don't forget that he loves you. It's just like having hundreds of jelly beans when all you want is that one single vomit flavoured one.

Cara laughed despite the seriousness.

Cara: you sick bitch! Ikumpara ba naman ako sa suka!

Ara laughed too.