Chapter 9: It's a Green Day to be Jealous

Welcome to the wonderful world of jealousy, he thought. For the price of admission, you get a splitting headache, a nearly irresistible urge to commit murder, and an inferiority complex. Yippie!

-J.R. Ward

Jacob Teng came to Ara's house very early in the morning, unannounced.

He was very excited of the activity he planned for that day.

He wanted to surprise her with something.

Or rather, he wanted to create lasting memories with her, doing an activity they both enjoyed doing.

He entered Ara's family home and saw her parents eating breakfast.

Jacob took a moment to stare at Dana Sy.

She was a beauty all right. The years only added to her beauty. It was no doubt that she lorded over print and tv commercials in her prime. She looked really graceful. Like a porcelain doll.

Her resemblance to Ara was very uncanny. It left Jacob silent and speechless. This was gonna be Ara in a few more years, he thought to himself.

Dana beamed at Jacob.

She was always glad to have him around. He was like a son to her.

Dana: Jake! What a pleasant surprise! What are you doing here? It's so early.

Jacob gave Dana a kiss on the cheek. He also gave his Tito Conrad a manly hug.

Conrad Shin was eating while reading the financial section of the newspaper.

Jacob: I just wanted to fetch Ara, Tita.

Dana looked confused.

Dana: Jake, it's a Saturday. No work, right?

Jacob: it's not for work Tita Dana. I just wanted to take her somewhere.

Dana looked unsure of what to say because she was taken by surprise too.

Conrad spoke up.

Conrad: Ara's not here, Jake. The Tan boy came to fetch her very early. They had a morning flight to catch. If I am not mistaken, they are off to Negros to see The Ruins. It is a beautiful piece of architecture in the south. You should have come with them. You are the architect between the two of you. I was thinking you would appreciate it more than Ara.

Jacob was silent for a few seconds.

He was shocked.

Why was Ara with Nicholas Tan?

And worse, she didn't tell him about it.

Okay, given the fact that he didn't ask her what she would be doing this weekend, it still wasn't an excuse and so unlike Ara to forget about him.

Conrad could see the change in Jacob's face.

The boy was trying very hard to control his temper.

He silently hid a smile.

Jacob: what time will they be back, Tito Cons?

Ara had told her dad that she would be back at about 6pm. But Jacob didn't know that.

Conrad decided that a little push wouldn't hurt both sides.

Conrad: I don't know Jake. Negros is a plane ride away from Manila. Baka mag overnight na dun! I really didn't ask what they would be doing afterwards eh. Maybe sightseeing and stuff! Ara has some friends over there so baka mag ikot ikot pa siguro! It's just a Saturday anyway.