Chapter 14: Echoes of the Future

"You must remember, family is often born of blood, but it doesn't depend on blood. Nor is it exclusive of friendship. Family members can be your best friends, you know. And best friends, whether or not they are related to you, can be your family."

― Trenton Lee Stewart, The Mysterious Benedict Society

The Tengs were having their usual Sunday night dinner get together while watching the evening news.

Jeron and Jeric were talking about planning a family vacation abroad just so they could all take a breather from the hectic hotel renovations.

Ashley and Addy were whispering to each other about Jacob and Ara, who seemed inseparable.

They were inseparable before, but something was different now.

Addy: sila na siguro! Kanina pa yan magka holding hands eh! Parang di naman dati nag ho holding hands yang dalawa!

Ashley: do you really think so? Jacob hasn't told me anything.

Addy: do you want me to call Dana up? Maybe she knows!

Ashley: hayaan mo na! It's their business! Magkukwento naman yan pag handa na!

Addy: sa bagay! I mean, what is suprising anyway? 5 years old pa lang ang dalawang yan, we knew they were gonna be together. Two peas in a pod.

Ashley smiled a happy smile.

At least one of her twins has already found happiness.

Si Jaden na lang ang natira.

Ashley had always worried about Jaden even if between the twins, he was the one who dated a lot.

Maybe because he was in the dog eat dog world of showbiz, where people often thought they owned Jaden and had every right to meddle in his life.

Ashley was afraid that when he fell in love, he'd be the one to get hurt because he was all out when he loved.

Just like his father.

Jacob was more like Ashley, so she didn't worry much about him.

Addy: don't worry too much Ash. Kaya nila yan! Malalaki na sila! You can't protect them forever. Let them make their own mistakes. Tinganan mo yan! What is meant to be will always find its way.

Addy said, while pointing to Jace and Sam, who were whispering sweet nothings to each other.

Jeric: selos ka na naman Addy!

Jeric appeared suddenly, intentionally riling up Addy.

He wanted to irritate her today. Let's see if patulan niya ako.

Jeric was holding a grudge against Addy because he wasn't able to watch the NBA playoffs because she watched her stupid lifestyle network cooking shows.

Addy: pwede ba! Shut up!

Addy rolled her eyes.

Jeric: asus! You cried your eyes out kaya when Jace told you he finally had a girlfriend! Possessive kasi! Weh!

Addy: i didn't! Sinungaling ka talaga! Swear!

Jeric: you're the liar between the two of us kaya! Aminin mo na kasi!

Just then, Jace spoke up.

Before his parents had a fight.

They just never seemed to grow up after almost 20 years of being together.

Jace: dad stop riling up Maddy! If you don't want to sleep in the couch later!

Addy laughed.

Addy: basag!