day one, ten am.

miyeon

i still couldn't quite believe what had happened the previous night. and neither did hana, apparently.

"so you're saying a tall, dark and handsome man walked right through those doors and i wasn't here to witness it?" my coworker, and older sister, asked.

while telling her the story of our encounter, i had left out the part where the bills he had offered me were stained with blood out of the equation. which was why, of course, she had only been focusing on my description of his toned arms and expensive looking suit.

"yes, but to be honest, he was kind of scary," i sighed, pulling my hair up in a high ponytail.

"scary beautiful you mean," she shook her head, hands on her hips as she chuckled. she did have a point, even though i had been too busy wondering about who he was to actually take in every single feature of his.

"aren't you getting married soon? what are you doing drooling over a man you don't even know?" i rolled my eyes playfully, nudging her slightly with my elbow.

"i might be engaged, but i'm still a woman who can appreciate art," she gasped.

"but can you really say you like the mona lisa if you haven't seen it?" i reasoned, making her shrug. she was the definition of boy crazy, and yet she still had managed to find a steady relationship before me. "anyway, i have work to do."

i stuffed my mouth with one last oreo before grabbing the cleaning supplies, exiting the staff room and heading towards the last room of the ground floor. thankfully, it was now a vacant room, meaning that i didn't have to be extra careful not to touch or move anything belonging to the guest.

you see, for someone who had been working here for over three years, even since i turned eighteen, i sure still remained the same clumsy girl who would spill bleach over someone's favorite sweater.

i grabbed the vacuum cleaner first, using it all over the room before taking the mop and also cleaning the bathroom. it was far from being a glamorous job or as nice as going to university, but in my family, we had to work for our goals. there wasn't enough money for dreams, and so if i wanted something, it'd take years of hard work before i got it.

opening the windows to let inside some fresh air, since the smell of the room clearly indicated someone had been smoking inside, i cleaned the windows and held on to the window rail, taking in the fresh morning air.

that is, until i nearly fell off as a sharp sound hit my ears.

was that...?

my question was answered soon enough, a small bird falling dead right in front of me. i cupped my mouth, not nearly as attached to birds to have this sort of reaction, but instead the reason being of what had killed the poor animal.

"mimi?!" my sister called out to me, opening the door to the room and stepping inside. "are you okay? i thought i heard..."

"a gunshot?" i turned to her, shaking my head. "no, i'm fine. it was probably some hunter in the woods or something."

her eyes searched for mine for a second. she was a human lie detector machine, especially when it came to me. yet, for some reason, she either had a miscalculation this time or dropped the topic on her own free will.

"alright," she pursed her lips. "i'll be down the hall."

i gave her a quick nod, muttering i'd be right with her as soon as i finished the room.

and once again, i lied.

***

author's note

this story is so much fun to write, idc about the reads anymore lmao

anyway im gonna be away until friday, so expect little to no updates until then!