Chapter 12: And Then, It Wasn't Anymore

People say that life is full of blessings in disguise. I don't think I could ever believe that. I guess what I'm always going to believe in is that bad things happen to good people. And life is just full of coincidences. There wasn't a universal plan, just cause and effect. But going through life with that mind will probably get me nowhere. I just have to keep on believing in the good of being good. Because there are no such thing as superheroes, but just people. Just people.

The world was gray again.

I remember Jack's father running down the hallway. Him and Friday standing in front of me, anxiously awaiting for me to say something.

“What happened?” Friday spoke first. “How's Jack?”

I took a deep breath.

“The doctor said he had a lot of, umm, eternal bleeding and he has a concussion.” There was more, but I hadn't really registered it all.

The world was so gray.

Mr. Otter looked at me. “What about you are you okay?”

I nodded, not trusting my voice.

My mother sat next to me. She had her arms around me, trying to not rub against my back which had bruises. I had sobbed for hours, when finally I had run out of tears. It was almost like there was nothing in me. No emotions. No worries. No fear. No happiness.

Mr. Otter was talking on the phone and Friday was pacing up and down the hallway. Then the doctor emerged.

I stood up and everyone faced him.

Mr. Otter looked at him. “Doctor?”

The doctor nodded and looked between all of us. “Yes, are you family?”

“I'm his father.”

The Doctor nodded before saying, “Well he had major blood loss and we had to perform surgery. He has a few cracked ribs and a bruised spine. He has a minor concussion and he also fractured his shoulder. ” I could feel my head begin to pound.

“But will he be alright?” Friday spoke up. He was pale and shaking.

“With some physical therapy and major rest, he should be fine.”

We all released a huge breath. “When will be able to see him again?” Mr. Otter asked.

“He won't be awake for another hour, but you can see him now.”

My mom walked up to me and told me that she was going to be just out in the waiting room. I began walking with Mr. Otter and Friday toward Jack's room, when the doctor stopped me.

“Excuse me, but family only.”

I gaped at him, “But I'm his boyfriend.”

“I'm sorry but-”

“Excuse me, but I believe this young man deserves to see his boyfriend.” Mr. Otter had stepped between us.

The doctor looked at him. “Sir, it is hospital policy that only family is-”

“He is family. Now if you'll excuse us.”

The doctor stood there stunned. We walked past him into Jack's room.

He was hooked up to all kinds of tubes. He was breathing so heavily and looked so pale. I couldn't really think, but there was this one line of thought that was running through my head.

It's all my fault. All my fault. I put him there.

Mr. Otter and Friday pulled a chair up to his bed. I sat on the couch.