Chapter 7: Fly 'Till You Touch the Sky, The Fall is Worth It

When you're happy, you don't worry about the little things. But isn't it the little things that matter? The higher you are in the clouds, the harder you fall, right? No one ever told me that. I spent my entire life, trying to fly where I flew. Can you really blame me for wanting to touch the sky? Can you blame me for wanting to be happy? You can't. Only I can blame myself for falling as hard as I did. Only I can blame myself for putting me six feet underground. Some people attached weights to my ankles and I refused to take them off.

The dates were amazing, always fun but never tasteless. I loved them and I loved spending them with Jack. He was almost like my shining knight in armor. Every time I would get pushed or shoved, Jack was somehow there whisking me away. It was a bit irritating, but adorable nonetheless.

We went to the park on a Sunday morning, just being us, being with each other.

We went to the mall and were discreet, but there were those glances and shoulder touches that made all the difference.

I was happy, elated, and it was the first time in a long time that I was just me. I wasn't trying to hide who I was. I was almost flaunting it in a way. I was hoping for that thrilling taste of making everybody watch me be happy instead of it being the other way around. School was hell, but it was slowly becoming something that wasn't, essentially, horrible in my life. I was okay with the bruises and my face meeting the floor, as long as Jack and I passed notes and he held me afterwards.

I should have known that things would soon become what they did. I was too happy. Too okay with the entire situation. I didn't see Jack's eyes after he watched me be tripped for the third time that day. I didn't see him frowning when he held me too tight and I whimpered because of the bruises. I was blind to all of that.

Jack texted me and asked if we could go to the park after school. It was a nice day and the date was our fourth. I was excited and I could not wait to soak up some sun and smell some fresh air. We walked there, it was a short distance, and stepped onto one of the paths. We weren't holding hands and Jack hadn't done anything to suggest that we were together. A meaningful touch and a small glance only gave us away. Though, they would probably seem meaningless to others.

I hadn't known that up ahead of us Cameron Yates was making out with Alexandra Hemmings.

We were chatting quietly, about the weather and James Cameron breaking world records with his mini submarine, when Cameron came up for air and saw us.

“Hey, what's up faggots?” It was said nonchalantly and Alex was giggling at the insult. But scowled at us. It was definitely an ugly look for her. Well, actually, anything was an ugly look for her.

Jack's hand found my mine, gripping it whether for comfort, or to keep a level head, I had no clue why.

“Shut up, Yates. Why don't you go back to swapping herpes with her over there and I won't have to resort to something I don't want to do.”

The sentence held a final tone and Jack started to pull me down the path, again. I knew, however, that Cameron wouldn't give up that easily.

Cameron would fight and push for the last word.

“You know what? I'm sick and tired of you trying to protect him. Acting like you're big and bad at my school. You know who's the top dog around here? Me. What are you his bodyguard? Really that pussy? You know what; I bet he sucks your cock for payment, doesn't he? All he is a little cocksucker.”

I was numb. I was barely breathing and my hand was cramping. No, it wasn't cramping. It was hurting. Suddenly, cold. Nobody was near me. Silence. I turned around at Alex's scream.