Chapter 3: And Thus, The Town Met the Lovebird

Chapter 3: And Thus, The Town Met The Lovebird

I hate small towns. I guess I liked anonymity too much to try and didn't appreciate the fact that everyone knew everything about everyone. I hated the fact that I was expected to interact with people who liked to gossip more than they liked to learn. I always kind of figured people liked that really thrived on horrible and ugly things in this world. I guess if I was ever struck by a meteor they would point and laugh at me and not worry about the fact that Earth's atmosphere let a meteor penetrate it's ozone layer and all their percentages of getting hit by meteors just went up.

Unfortunately, the amazing, cute, sunny morning we had, didn't last.

The theater was not a long walk from the diner, but our pace was one akin to a Sunday stroll. Our hands were doing a swing dance between us and I felt like I could float. The dragonflies in my stomach were having sword-fighting contests and I swear that my heart was about to thud out of my chest.

Jack's hair was a golden chestnut in the sunlight. He was almost a head taller than I was, but he was twiggy. I'd always thought that I would want guys with muscle or at least ones that weren't comparable to a beanstalk. Jack did have slightly defined muscles, though.

I shifted my eyes to look at the park we were passing. There were some kids playing.

I quickly let go of Jack's hand.

He looked at me. “What's wrong?”

I looked down, not meeting his gaze. I put a little distance between us. He tried to walk near me, and it hurt, but I continued to shift a little bit aways.

“Kyle. What's the matter?” He sounded genuinely worried. I felt a lump enter my throat.

“Church is out.”, I whispered. Shame crept into my voice.

I just couldn't, not in this town. At least not yet. I shook my head. “We should head to that theater.” I tried to smile, but it came out forced. Jack still looked confused, but he just nodded.

A few steps down the road, I felt Jack's fingers hit mine. We were only inches away from each other now. I felt a small grin creep on my face. I looked around. It seemed that nobody was really out and about. I slowly interlaced our fingers, again.

It only took a few more seconds, but there was a pit of anxiety in my stomach.

I guess I should have known better.

Then a shout.

“Faggots!” The insult shot down my spine and I felt warm. I felt angry. There was adrenaline. I felt this anger settle into my throat and I wanted to unleash it. But I didn't know how. I didn't know how to deal with it. Jack's hand tightened around mine.

“Why don't you take your bigoted ass somewhere else?!” My eyes lifted as they fell on Jack's face. His lips were set into a thin line and his eyes held the anger I was trying to shove away. I didn't want to start anything. I was weak.

“Oh Yeah, fairy?! Well, why don't you stop shoving your disgusting homoness into our faces?!”

The shout was from a guy across the street. I recognized him instantly. Short, stout, with a dirty blond hair and an unabashed need to find the worst sweater vests in history. Carl Hempson, avid church-goer and cousin to Alexandra, and also a self righteous asshole.

I tried to pull Jack toward the movie theater that was just down the street. But he wouldn't move. I could feel my pulse quicken. I don't want to be here.

“At least I have some style unlike that dead thing on top of your head and narrow-minded thoughts!” I snorted. Well, that was funny.

I, suddenly, looked around and realized more people had gathered around us. My heart pounded into my ears. I felt like a rabbit, cornered by the worst predator. The change from happiness to fear left my mind spinning. I don't want to be here.