Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Christmas rolled around in no time at all. Everything was planned; we were all having dinner in George, Ringo and Paul’s apartment. It was going to be fantastic! Only John and I knew about me being pregnant. We were waiting to tell everyone until Christmas Day, to make it even more special! I had went to the doctor a few days after I’d found out just to be sure. I was definitely pregnant and already nearly 3 months gone! Our baby would be here hopefully sometime in June!

John fussed over me exceedingly, running me hot baths, taking me out on romantic meals and was extremely careful and gentle when we made love; which I knew he hated.

It was Christmas Eve and I’d just got back from Christmas shopping with an old friend from London. My arms were dead from carrying heavy bags back to the apartment. I struggled trying to unlock the door. I finally got it and kicked it open, stepping into a dark apartment. “John must be out” I thought, dropping the bags. I walked into the living room; the room was dark apart from the sparkle off the fairy lights that hung from the Christmas tree. “John?” I called out.

He suddenly stepped out from nowhere and gathered me up into his arms bridal style. “You scared me” I said kissing him, holding his chin in my hands. He placed me down gently on the couch and pulled off my coat, I curled my feet up under me. John lay beside me, placing his head on my bump, listening for a heartbeat or movement. I stroked his soft hair with one hand. His fingers were entwined with him, his thumb rubbing my hand soothingly. I dozed in and out of sleep, until it was around midnight. John shook my shoulder lightly.

“Wake up love” he whispered quietly. The room was still dark, apart from the moonlight that shone in the window “Its past midnight, Merry Christmas Millie” he spoke softly, kissing my hand. “Merry Christmas baby” he giggled and patted my stomach.

“This baby has turned you soft” I scoffed and laughed. He shrugged, agreeing. “C’mon” I spoke after a while. He looked at me, raising an eyebrow.

“Let’s go to bed” I said, trying to be seductive. I stood up off the couch and pulled him up after me. He walked close behind me; his arms wrapped around my waist and kissed my neck lightly as we headed to our bedroom.

************

I awoke early the next morning, John was still asleep. I elbowed him and he groaned.

“It’s time to wake up John, it’s Christmas” I squealed childishly. I leapt up and began bouncing on the bed, trying to wake him up. He suddenly grabbed my legs, from behind my knees and pulled me down on top of him, forcing us into a fit of laughter. We got up and dressed quickly, eager to head into the boys to celebrate Christmas.

I knocked on their apartment door and Ringo swung it open on the other side, he had his arms open, ready to embrace us into a hug. “Merry Christmas” he shrieked and ushered us in with the wave of his hand. As we stepped in, the smell of Christmas dinner filled the room. “Something smells good” I complimented. Paul stepped out of the kitchen, wearing an apron with a snowman on the front. I threw my head back and laughed hysterically.

“Your just jealous” He smirked and ran over to me, hugging me close and kissing me on the check. I heard John shuffle from one foot to another in frustration. I sighed and pulled away, going to find George.

“Where’s George?” I said after a while. Ringo nodded toward a bedroom door. “He’s still sleeping!?” I replied annoyed. I skipped to the door and flung it open. “MERRY CHRISTMAS GEORGIE” I yelled and he sat up sleepily, rubbing his eyes. “I heard noise, figured it would be you Millie loudmouth” he joked, pulling me into a hug.  I ruffled his hair and kissed his forehead.

Paul served dinner a few hours later. It was delicious! I never knew he was such a good cook. I sat next to John at the table with Ringo to my right and Paul and George across from us. Whenever John held my hand, kissed or even looked at me, Paul would tense and sigh. Poor Paul wasn’t over me still.

When the evening came we all sat around the blazing fire in the living room, talking and laughing. Paul stood up and excused himself. Everyone exchanged nervous glances. At this stage, we all knew that Paul liked me and it was tough, for all of us. He returned within a minute and sat beside me, one hand behind his back an excited glint shone in his hazel eyes.

“I know we said no presents and all” he started “But, I’ve got you a little something” he said, blushing. From behind his back he pulled out a small square black box. I squealed excitedly. He lifted the lid and revealed a sparkling silver love-heart shaped necklace.

“Oh my god, Paul, its gorgeous!” I hugged him tightly. “Thank you so much” I wrapped my fingers in his.

“Here turn around so I can put it on” He smiled and grabbed my shoulders with his free hand, turning me in the opposite direction, facing John. He was frowning, looking at the floor.

Paul moved my hair out of the way and placed the necklace on me, clipping it into place at the back. It glinted it the light. Everyone gasped in admiration.

“Whoa, that is really beautiful” Ringo spoke softly. George nodded in agreement.

“Must of set you back a good bit eh Paulie?” scowled John sarcastically. Paul shrugged. I gritted my teeth and held the heart twisting it between my fingers, wishing they’d stop fighting.

“Moving on” John said raising an eyebrow. “Me and Millie have some news!” he smiled, showing his teeth. John wrapped his arm around my shoulders. I felt Paul’s grip on my hand, tighten slightly. My heart raced, forgetting completely about telling them I was pregnant today. It would kill Paul, he was so happy now; I couldn’t do it to him. It would break his heart.

“Millie is…” John said, dragging it out. I shook my head, trying to catch his eye. “…going to have a baby! He yelled ignoring me. Paul dropped my hand and looked away.

Ringo and George jumped up, rushing towards us. “What?!” gasped George. “I’m going to be an uncle, well not really... but metaphorically I am” he laughed. He picked me up and swung me round. “Congrats” he kissed my cheek, before placing me softly onto the floor. Ringo embraced me into a bear hug then pulled away quickly, staring at my stomach. “Did I hurt um?” He asked, concerned. I shook my head and laughed. “Of course not silly.” He pulled me into another hug, careful not to lean too hard against my swelling stomach this time.

John was hugging George and Ringo, messing about in excitement, as I sat back down beside Paul. “Do I not get a hug?” I asked pouting. He looked at me and smiled somewhat and hugged me lightly, whispering into my ear. “I’m happy for you, yanno that?”

“I know Paul, I know” I smiled, pulling away, happy tears brimmed my eyes. John screamed interrupting us, holding out his arms. “Get over here Paul”. Paul stood and hugged John, slapping his back. “Congrats man, you’ll make a great dad”. I smiled and sat back, thinking maybe everything might work out alright for once. How wrong could of I have been?