Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I finally finished clearing up my apartment around 7 that evening. It looked and felt much better. I was proud of my work. There were still a few things left to be done, like repainting the walls and hanging up pictures and such but that could wait. My stomach grumbled loudly under my shirt. I opened the fridge before realizing it was empty. Suppose I’ll just have to eat out tonight. I picked up my coat and handbag before rushing out of the apartment. As I swung open the apartment door I almost tripped over a small package sitting outside my door. I bent down to pick it up; it was a new packet of sugar. There was a yellow sticky note attached to it. I squinted to read the small messy writing. It said “Thanks again for the sugar, John x”. I smiled and walked back into the apartment, leaving the sugar on the counter and folding up the small piece of paper before putting it safely in my pocket. "He didn’t have to do that" I thought as I headed for the elevator, just as I turned the corner the elevator doors were slowly closing. “Wait!” I called. Someone from inside stuck out an arm out to hold the doors. I stepped inside and thanked the guy who held the door before realizing it was John.

“Oh, I didn’t recognize you all dressed up” I giggled. He was wearing a black suit, a crisp white shirt and a black skinny tie underneath. He looked very smart. Looking around the elevator I realized that 3 other boys were all dressed the same, obviously in his band.

“Where are you heading?” he asked. “I thought you were too busy to see us play tonight.” He asked sadly.

“Oh, err, I, um finished early” I lied; truth was I completely forgot about the generous invitation. To be honest, I kind of wanted to go see them play. “I’m just heading out for something to eat”

“Hmm, I’m starving” chirped the smallest boy. He had a large nose and wore a lot of rings. “I’m Richard by the way, but everyone calls me Ringo” he smiled at me.

“Yes, food does sound good” added a boy standing furthest away from me. “I’m Paul Mc Cartney” he said to me and winked, his hazel eyes sparkling.

“Well then it’s settled, food it is then!” Cheered the last un-introduced boy. “My name’s George” he waved shyly at me, he looked the youngest out of the four, maybe my age or even younger.

I smiled at each of the boys and introduced myself.

The elevator doors slid open and we all stepped out into the lobby. “Would you like to join us for dinner?” John offered kindly. “But we might have to rush, our gigs in an hour or so”

“We have all the time in the world, pal” Ringo chimed in, patting John on the shoulder.

I thought about their offer, what had I to lose? Would I rather eat alone like a sad case or eat with four attractive boys? If you haven’t already guessed, I chose the second option.

****************

After a while of walking up the main street, we chose a small diner which was packed with people. We sat in an empty booth in the corner of the room. I sat in between George and John, with Paul and Ringo facing me. A young fair haired waitress soon arrived with menus and passed them out to each of us.

“Hey, I know you guys! You’re that band that’s playing in the Dog n’ Duck tonight! Everyone’s been talking about you all day” she rushed excitedly. “There’s supposed to be a huge crowd going. I wanted to go but I have to work” she sighed.

“Ah that’s such a shame, you poor thing” Paul said sympathetically. The young waitress blushed and giggled. “Let me know, when you guys are ready to order” she grinned happily and rushed off.

“Paul, you’re such a flirt” cried Ringo, elbowing his fellow band member. “He goes after all the girls” Ringo said towards me. Paul shrugged and laughed.

“He gets them too” joked George from beside me. We all laughed.

“What looks good guys?” John piped in, changing the awkward subject, his eyes scanning the menu.

“Everything!” George replied. “I’m that hungry I think I could eat the leg of this table.”

Everyone laughed agreeing. The waitress soon came back and took our orders. She was so giggly and embarrassed. This band must be pretty big in Liverpool. I must admit I was already regretting not taking John up on his offer about the gig. The whole of Liverpool seemed to be attending and I was curious to hear what type of music they played, because through apartment walls it didn’t seem like music at all, just random bangs and beats.

We all ate quickly, enjoying our food to much to chat. I caught Paul staring at me a few times over dinner. When I looked up and him he didn’t break his gaze, he just stared more attentively, as if to be taking in my every feature. I shrugged it off, not paying much attention although I should have.  When we were finished, we got the bill and I took out my purse. All four members of the band started protesting immediately.

“No way Millie, we’re paying for this one!” Ringo spoke over the rest.

“Yeah, this is definitely on us” smiled George patting my shoulder.

“Thanks guys, that’s really sweet of you” I smiled gratefully. “Just as long as you’re sure” I said raising my eyebrows.

“Yes, we’re sure! But listen, we’d all really like you to come to our gig tonight. You could think of that as repaying us” smiled John. Everyone else agreed on the idea. I was glad they offered once again. They paid the bill and we all left, Paul waved and blew a kiss to the waitress who served us and by the look on her face she was about to pass out from excitement. Paul turned and smirked slyly at me. Was he trying to make me jealous or something?! Ringo was right, he was such a flirt!

John noticed Paul's actions towards me and suddenly linked arms with me pulling me away from Paul. I looked back at Paul, his eyes were burning into John's back, raged with jealously and anger.