Back to Normal

I was ready when Jason rang the doorbell. As I opened to door, he was standing there casually dressed but as sexy as every. I had spent all night thinking about what I should wear. Guys have it so easy.

Jason and I spent a few seconds smiling at each other. Mum my was dressed as well and appeared behind me. I could sense her and turned to see her, she smiled at me and then smiled at Jason.

“Hello Jason, Alex has told me a lot about you.” This is true if you count his name and saying she has seen him before as ‘a lot’.

“Nice to meet you Ms Stevens.”

Mum suppressed a girly giggle which I couldn’t help rolling my eyes at.

“You got a good looking one there Alex. Very handsome.” Mum just didn’t know when to stop.

“Yepthanksmumbye.” I was talking so fast I couldn’t make out what I was saying. I was concentrating on walking down the porch hand in hand with Jason. My face had gone vermillion and Jason’s went slightly pink but he was laughing.

“See you Jason. Bye Alex.” When I glanced at her, she had a broad smile on her face, how she enjoyed teasing me.

“Sorry about that Jason.”

“Don’t be, your mum’s cool!”

“I know.”

As we walked down the road I live in, I explained to Jason that we had to go to the hospital to collect Serena and drop her off back at my house before we go for are date.

At the entrance of the Hospital I began to get flash back to when I was last here, of Serena on the bed motionless as if she was dead. As we walk through the reception, I avoided the receptionist; it was the same one I saw when I was here last time.

Standing outside Serena’s room made me apprehensive. I was afraid of what I would see on the other side of the door. Will she still be on life support? Jason knocked on the door for me and put his arm round me for comfort.

“Come in!” The voice was distinctly Serena’s. Her voice was normal again, not croaky like last time I saw her. I was so happy, I burst though the door and almost hit the nurse coming trying to get out, in the face. The nurse’s eyes bulged staggered backwards.

“Um, sorry” I said as she scuttled past me.

“Trust you to make an entrance,” Serena giggled. I looked up to see her dressed in skinny jeans and a shirt. Her hair was straightened and her make-up perfect.

“Did you drop by a salon before I came? How did you get hair straighteners in a Hospital?

“Oh, I went down to the café on the ground floor and this girl was there, she just had a tummy tuck. She said my hair should be straightened, and I was like, how am I going to do that without straighteners and she pulled a pair out of her bag and says she never leaves the house without them. The make-up I had in my handbag.” She patted her oversized tote to make the message clearer.

“Anyway, I can’t be seen leaving with hair like a bird’s nest and bear faced, I would never be seen in public like that.” I rolled my eyes but at the same time was relieved, she was back to normal.

She seemed to notice Jason next to me and her checks went rosy. “So, are you two a thing now?” she said while pointed her finger at us.

“Um…”

“Yeah, we are.” Jason jumped in and put his arm round my waist.

“Awwwww! That is so sweet.” Serena cooed as she pulled a compact mirror out of her bag and check if she looked perfect.

“Come on; let’s get you back home, you need to pack.” I was waiting for her to protest but instead she sighed and said, “I know,” in a glum voice.

“WOW! You’re not going to throw some sort of fit about moving.”

“Na, I need to get out of this shit hole anyway.” And with that she strutted out of the door and flicked her hair like a model, I caught a whiff of her floral perfume and I knew, my sister was back to normal; confident, girly, happy and lovable.