Heart to Heart

“Hey honey…how was it?” She was acting as if everything was normal, which it was far from. I hadn’t seen her for ages and she turns up unexpected looking a complete mess.

“Mum…?” It sounded stupid, but what would you say if you were in my situation. I glanced around my mum at all the bottles. I began to walk steadily toward my mum; she didn’t move a muscle as I began to clean up to mess. I collected to bottles and throw them in the bin; I got a wet wipe and began to clean her face of the make-up disaster which didn’t like unlike The Joker’s from Batman. I wiped down the table, smoothed out my mum’s hair, pulled out a chair and sat next to her. I had to breathe through my mouth to avoid the revolting smell of alcohol.

“Mum, I’m sorry I’ve not treated you harshly.” She looked taken back but my comment and stared deep into my eyes. She opened her mouth slightly to say something but all that came out was a wailing noise, her eyes filled with water and she hugged me, tightly.

I knew I had to correct everything, I had to put things right, starting from now. “I want you to know that you are the best, I just was too selfish to see. I never considered your feelings, but now I have realised I have to. I know I have hostile towards the thought of moving out to…New York, but I think it’s a great opportunity for you and me and Serena. We can start a new life, forget about what has happened; be happy.” I began so stroke her hair as she sobbed into my shoulder. I began to talk slower until it sounded like someone had hit a button making me talk half as fast as usual.

“Mum…I want to move to New York.”

My mum raised her head to see if I was serious. I smiled down at her and swept strands of hair out of her face. I knew she was listening to my mini speech when she smiled and repeatedly thanking me. “I’m…I’m so happy, I th-thought I lost y-you forever!” My mum let go of me and wiped her eyes and face clean of tears. My shoulder was drenched.

“I’m going to get you some water, mum. You need to stay hydrated.” As I walked towards the cupboard to get a cup my vision went weird again. Dots formed in front of my eyes, dancing around my vision. This was the third time it had happened; the first was before Madison attacked me, the second was just before prom. It was as if you had your eyes closed and someone was applying pressure onto your eyelids. I didn’t know what was happening. Now I could hear noises in my head again, but they seemed closer; I could almost make out what they were saying. “sh-n—okay–o—no-ca—." 

Then it went.

I started entertaining the idea that I was mad. I was hearing voices in my head and my vision was going weird. Was I mad? Was I about to have a stroke or something? I shook my head and began advancing towards the cupboard, got a cup, filled it with water and handed it to mum. Her hands were shaking frantically; I was worried she wouldn’t be able to hold the cup, but she managed.

The phone began to ring. Who would be phoning at this time?

“Can you drink it mum?” She nodded and smiled at me again to reassure me.

“Okay, I’m going to get the phone.”

“You d-don’t need to give me a com-com-commentary, Alex.” Even when she is drunk, she can still formulate sentences and is quite responsive, unlike Nick.

I picked up the phone. It was the hospital. I was dreading what the doctor was about to say, I was preparing myself for the worst.

“Is this Alexandra?” Doctor Owen asked calmly.

“Yes.” My mouth went dry, this could only be about one thing: Serena.

“Could I possibly talk to your mother?”

I glanced towards to kitchen where mum was shakily walking toward the tap to get more water. “Er…not at the moment.”

“Well, I’ll tell you and you can tall her when she’s…available.”

“OK.”

“The staff and myself think that Serena-“ Oh God, that can’t be good. I was on the verge of tears. “-is fit to leave to hospital, her recovery has been incredible and we would like it if you could collect her tomorrow.”

I was beside myself with happiness. After all the shit I this family has been through we were coming together and everything was great.

“Are you still there? Alexandra?” With me celebrating I forgot I had to reply to Dr. Owen.

“Yes I’m here. I’ll collect her tomorrow.” I was rushing now I wanted tomorrow to come. I then considered that I had arranged to go for a date with Jason as well. I guess we could do a little detour and collect Serena and drop her off at home.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Dr. Owen!” I said in a voice that was way too chirpy and enthusiastic for the time of day.

Dr. Owen seemed to laugh and say goodbye.

“Who was it honey?” my called from the kitchen when she heard me put down the phone. I could see her clutching her mug as staring at me wide eyed.

“It was the hospital. Serena’s coming home.”